Author Topic: 112 Nemesis cab  (Read 1799 times)

Offline Wesley Starbuck

112 Nemesis cab
« on: May 08, 2006, 12:54:27 PM »

I have an old issue of bass player from 2002 with an artical about 1x12 and 2x12 cabs. It shows a Nemesis 1x12 cab. Will you ever offer that again. I would love to put that with my 120. Even better would be a Nemesis 1x12 combo to go with it.
  The 120 works great for my band rehearsal with a drummer, it has a huge sound, I cant help but think that if I had a 1x12 to go with it I would be set.

Wes
 Ibanez artcore, Nemesis Siver series 120

Offline ProDigit

112 Nemesis cab
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2006, 11:14:45 AM »
I allready asked for a 1x10" CAB which they wheren't planning to produce yet.

But in my opinion, allow me to freely talk about cabs sizes and power, and what I would like to see:

If a cab is equipped with a Neodymium speaker 1x10" + 1 small tweeter can get upto 200watts of power, which is about anything you'll ever need for ordinary rehearsals
Packed in a little powerhouse a little bigger then the Roland bass cube, with twice more power, and probably twice the quality too, for the same, or even lighter wheight.

The smaller the cone of the speaker, the lower and deeper the sound can go in a same cabsize, the bigger the cone, the bigger the cab needs to be to bring out the lower frequencies, and thus also the heavier in wheight.
Wheight of the gear is becoming a real issue amongst bass players, and I personally see more and more people using lightwheight stuff that can give near to the quality of another product wheighing twice as much.

Bigger cones like 15", 18", and 21" are more made to feel the sound, which isn't really necessary for rehearsals, where wheight and being heard/to hear yourself really matters.
If I come home from work in the eavening, and have to drag a 50+ pounds amp to my rehearsal, I'm exhausted before I even begin.

On cabs with normal speakers a 12" could give you 170W with no problems, or near to 400W if they would be neodymiums.
But in most pubs I play, playing with too much power causes troubles for the neighbors, and 400W is definately causing troubles..

For most normal fullband rehearsals (upto 5 musicians, and a few singers) you need about 150-200W, as is the same for most smaller gigs, and pubs.
For bigger bands, upto 10musicians, and maybe a choir you'll need at least 250W to be heard.

Up untill now my 300W nemesis cab has been able to support almost all gigs, though maybe I'll soon buy a 4x10" 500W cab too. You'll never know when I'd see the real big stages.

A 100W 16Ohm speaker 1x10" would do great with the nemesis 320 head, or a 8ohm neodymium version (200+W).
A 175W 8Ohm speaker 1x12" would also do great with the nemesis head, or a 4 ohm neodymium version (320+W).

Unfortunately neodymium speakers are not yet produced by Eden, especially not for the nemesis series.
Though they would really apply for that product with their lightwood cabinets.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2006, 11:23:42 AM by ProDigit »
_______________________________________________________________________________________
Ibanez SRX, Fender Classic, WTX

Offline Wesley Starbuck

112 Nemesis cab
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2006, 03:02:23 PM »
Thanks for the reply. Your right about weight being a problem, I do not have the best back and thats one of the reasons for the intrests in the 1x12. I feel that with 2 1x12, with 200 or more in wats, I should have enough for most gigs. I see lots of people use 4x10's but they are heavy.
  I have read a few articals that say for most gigs a 4x10 or 2x12 with at least 200 watts should work. having a 1x12 combo and a 1x12 cab to go with it I think sould cover me and just the combo for rehearsals.
  There is a club I used to play at, not bass, and are bass player used a 30 watt 1x10 and was sometimes to loud. Grant it we were an acoustic band but we still had a 200 watt pa. But in this same club i have seen a guy use an 8x10 and someone use a 1x15 100 watt combo.
The guy playing the 1x15 was as loud as the guy with the big 8x10, both were playing with drummers This is why I feel the 1x12 cab with mt combo would work.
  Eden dous make the cx110 and it is rather cheep have you looked in to that one, its pretty light. You mentioned a 300 wat cab what size speakers is it.
   One thing I had read about the 1x10's is that they are small enough to pick up the higher frequincies and that if you put more then one of them together its like puting more then one voice. I have also read like you mentioned that the 1x15 gives you more of that deep bass feel but this is why the 1x12 are making a comeback. I have yet to here back from eden but they did used to make a nemesis 1x12.

Offline ProDigit

112 Nemesis cab
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2006, 12:55:07 PM »
I think your problem will be that connecting this speaker would be of no much avail, for sounding louder :s

The nemesis silver series 12S (what I believe you have) produces 120W at 8 ohm.
When you'll connect another (8Ohm)cab to your amp, it will give you an additional 50W of sound.
This 170W will be split in 2, giving 85W to your amp's speakers, and 85W to your attached cab.

The only thing you need to look for, is a cab at 8 ohm, which has good characteristics.
Eden Cabs, nemesis cabs are pretty good.

I looked for other brands as well. All I know is that laney, crate and the cheaper SWR cabs where the worst I have heard!

It doesn't really matter if you connect a 4x10" cab, 1x12", 1x15", 2x12", 2x10" or a 1x10" cab to your amp, if the cab is at 8 ohms, your amp will only send 85watts to your cab.
Even if your cab supports 1000Watts.

I would advise you, to take the Eden CX110 cab. If not the Nemesis 2x10 cab.

They are both lightwheight and have more then power enough to support your amp.

Save yourself backproblems and money.

If you want a low bottom end, (like a real deep sounding bass) look at the characteristics on the webpage:
Frequency Response 42 hz - 18 khz  that's of your N12S.
If you want more deep take the NSP210 it goes downto 35Hz, or the XC110 goes to 36 Hz.
Plenty of bottom end, even for an advanced player.

I didn' t know about Eden CX110 untill today; I somehow always overlooked that cab.
Now I know it exsists it'll be the first thing I'll buy for my bass!

Cheers!
« Last Edit: May 12, 2006, 12:56:13 PM by ProDigit »
_______________________________________________________________________________________

Offline Wesley Starbuck

112 Nemesis cab
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2006, 04:07:54 PM »
Thanks for the tip on SWR. I realy like the eden sound but am on a buget. I Have thought about geting the 1x15 becouse I would eventuly like to get a the nemesis 2x10 combo to add with it. But I would realy like another 1x12 but cheeper. I have not gotten a responce from from eden yet about a nemesis 1x12 but it would be light.
  Some one on this forum asked about a 1x15 and has gotten a lot of people telling himm to go with a 1x10. I am curious as to what exactly is ment by "Frequency Response 42 hz - 18 khz" isnt that the same thing as an eq frequincy. From what your saying then the 2x10 can get lower then the 1x12. This is what has allways perplexed me.
  As mentioned before I hear alot about about the 10 inch speaker sound and the 15 inch speaker sound and thats why I am realy contimplating another 1x12. As this artical I have from a 2001 bass player states it is a nice compramise between the 10 & 15 inch speaker. But so many people seem to push the 10 inch ones.
  But I am starting to wonder if the 10 inch speaker might work so well becouse they have such a good range.
  I thought by the way that the power was split like you mentioned. I have never realy read a good explanation of that.

What do you play if you did not already mention it

wes

Offline ProDigit

112 Nemesis cab
« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2006, 03:28:11 PM »
Yep, the 2x10" goes downto 35Hz, which gives really smooth lows, even for 5 string basses!
While the 15" goes downto 38Hz. It is being seen as very low as well.

You'll notice that the 2x10" will give you the opportunity to sound more pro-like then your 12" by giving deeper lows.

Also; there are very few companies that manage to get a GOOD sounding 12" cab done. Eden is one of the few, which is really an exception on this..

Usually I say, 10" cones is more for confined spaces, small stages, and pubs. 12" for clubs, big parties, and open air mini stages, and 15" or more is for onstage. The bigger the speaker, usually has more benefit with bigger stages and live performances. Most bassplayers I know have at least 2x10" at home, or 4x10"; and 1x15.
Only few I know see the benefit in a 12", since it's usually only giving moderate preassurelevels, and doesn't sound as defined as a 2x10". Though, all of that chat is really relative.
These days there's no say in 12" is bad, and 10" is good.

Markbass has successfully develloped a good sounding 15", with great definition!, by using newer lightbuild and tougher materials.

It also depends on which cab is used. there's still adifference in a 2x10 and a 4x10", while many say that 4x10 and 1x15" look quite alike,in preassure level. I'm not to judge that, I don't play big (yet).

I would suggest, read a lot,
browse arround on bass sites,
look at all the possible nice looking cabs,
compare specs
and especially, go to your soundstore, and check the ones out you see arround there.
Testing will give you the most knowledge.

Offline Wesley Starbuck

112 Nemesis cab
« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2006, 10:00:39 AM »
You made some good points thanks. The best research I feel is going and seeing people live. Grant it most of the bands I see live are at one small pub that has horrible sound. The last band I was in(which I did not play bass) palyed at this club almost every week as well as a few some outdoor festivals and several other clubs in the Tulsa area.
  The most important insight to me was size. The less I had to carry the better, so efecency is a key. Lots of the festivals you cant go right to the stage. Not to mention I have hurt my back before.
   The othet important thing, and the most difficult, was being able to hear my self. I can only remeber one sound man that realy was able to get me in the moniter. And with most festivals you had to get on and get off fast. I might even say that its more important then the audienc being able to hear you, most of the festivals and places I had played the bass was able to go threw the pa but not every one wanted to hear it. One thing I learned is that if you have your own amp you do not have to worry about competing with your band mates in the moniter; grant it we were an acoustic band and allmost every thing went threw the pa.
  So many players have used the 10's for so long you might have a point. The idea behind the 12 was being able to just use one cab that was still fast with enough highs and lows. But I remeber a freind of mine coming over and picking up my acoustic and we started jaming. The acoustic was unpluged and when I would match his sound level my 1x12 was so boomy that I had to tuen it down more then I wanted or cut the lows more then I wanted. So I pluged in a very old and beat up pactice guitar amp with a 6 inch speaker to my bass and that solved the problem.
  What you said about the 2x10 and 1x15 combo makes sence, For a small club I may have the best chance of hearing my self and for a bigger stage the 2x10 with a 15. Maybe thats why they dont makes many 12 its not realy needed.

wes