Author Topic: No Eden, but a happy ending  (Read 2512 times)

Offline 1954bassman

No Eden, but a happy ending
« on: January 29, 2005, 01:04:33 AM »
I know this might get yanked, but I thought I should pass my story along,
Long post. Sorry.

Last year I bought a used fretless Lakland 55-02 (2003 model) on eBay. This was this second imported bass I have ever owned, the first being in 1964, a no-name hollow body. I was apprehensive about buying a Korean bass, but I was intrigued by Lakland’s reputation. I own three other basses: G&L L2500, Modulus Quantum 6, and a Godin A5 fretless. All very nice basses, with different personalities. It was love at first bite with the 55-02, and it immediately moved into high rotation, adding its own unique voice to my arsenal.  The first few months went great, and the love affair blossomed. Then tragedy struck.

Twice a year I take all my basses, guitars, dobro, my wife’s fiddle and mandolin to our local guitar doctor for routine check-ups, adjustments, etc. During my late December visit, my poor Lakland was diagnosed with a loose truss rod. Not broken, loose. Rattling. I was sick. My fears of owning an imported bass were coming true, why oh why did I even bid on, and eventually buy this stupid Korean bass. With almost 40 years of experience, I know better.

Remembering all the posts I had read on what a great company Lakland was, what a nice guy Mr. Lakland is (Dan I think), and their genuine customer service, I dropped them a email, telling them my sad story. After all, I had nothing to lose. Shortly thereafter, I received a Bad News /Good News / Bad News email. Bad news: my 55-02 is not under warranty, Good news: they are going to give me a new replacement neck anyway, only charging me for labor to install it at their factory, Bad news: Korean necks are scheduled to arrive in April.

Needless to say, I am thrilled! All the stories about what a great company Lakland is seem to be very true. I cannot express my satisfaction accurately in words. This is great, I bought a used bass, and Lakland is making good on their product and service reputation. Now if I could only afford a USA model.

Mark

deManBass
Bass with Grace
quote:
The Older I Get,

The Less I Know

Offline stagesound

• Mike Lefebvre
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2005, 02:01:59 AM »
I personally don't see why it would get yanked as I really enjoyed reading this story... I think it is good for each & everyone to hear different stories like this as it gives us abetter knowledge of a certain product or company and anything else that surround our world of bass playing .... In this perticular case I discover that Lakland really stand behind their products no matter what and this might influence me in a future purchase aas this is one of the things I look for when I'm contemplating buying a piece of gear... You know... Being given two similar products one has to rely on other factors to base his / her decision of which one to choose & this factor to me is a very good one.... I'm glad I've read it...

Michel in Lotus Land
Michel Leclerc
Eden EGRW264 rig / GK700RB/210 combo
Spector ReBop 5DLX
Yamaha RB300
Hamer/Slammer SB-4F (short scale)

http://mikelefebvre.ca/

Offline Moh

• http://www.rustyspurs.com
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2005, 05:29:17 AM »
Couldn't say it betterer

So what-LET the guitarist THINK he controls the sound
Eden WT550 - 212XLT - 210XST -  DBX266 - '06 Jazz Dlxe 5
When Music Hits You - You Don't
Get Hurt - Bob Marley

Offline fox

• I hate that its always my birthday anytime soon
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2005, 06:00:44 AM »
Isn't it genuinely heartening to hear such stories? Great service back-up for decent product can be a rare thing. I have a similar story concerning a UK bass manufacturer called WAL. They have dealers in the US, Bass Central in Orlando and Bass Northwest in Seattle. They are truly great instruments and custom made. A friend of mine regularly sends his back (Ok, easier to do over here of course!) for sevice and health check. One time he had chipped quite a large piece of the finish off the body but did not think it too serious. The bass came back minus the chip. No evidence of it at all. Seems they just do that sort of thing for their customers as part of the service. I was knocked out by this as in the UK we have learned not to expect much in the way of service of any kind generally. Our luthiers, it seems, have a different attitude.
The more I learn, the less I know.
Still learning to play: MM Stingray5, NS CR5 eub, Lakland Joe Osborne sig 5. WT800, 210xlt, 410xlt, G-B Streamliner 900 and still getting up to no good in a kilt!

Offline jmcgliss

• http://www.jcthebassman.com
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2005, 07:27:49 AM »
Just to clarify, Lakland still makes basses right here in Chicago. The Korean basses are labeled 'Skyline series' on the headstock. The Lakland site may provide serial number IDs as well. So, don't fear ebay. I'd also like to remined everyone to check out the "Post Your Gig" forum  about what is planned for the Lakland 10th Anniversary events (March 9-11).  Worth a road trip to celebrate with the factory and some famous endorsers!
Jeff C
| WT800C | WT405 | WTX-260 | D112XLTs & D212XLT4 sold | Nemesis N8 | EM3 & EM5 monitors | D.N.A. DNS-112N's | ProCablesNSound cables | www.jcthebassman.com |

Offline Lowfreq

« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2005, 11:52:04 AM »
Before settling on my current Spector bass, I played many Laklands and even met Dan Lakin at Winter NAMM 3 years back. Like most talented luthiers, he was truly a nice guy and took time to answer all my concerns. So I'm not too suprised at his company's quick and decisive decision to help out your situation. After all, it only benefits the bottom line for Lakland (and others) to give solid service. Since 'Fox' mentioned Wal basses, my cousin is a Wal fanatic. I have played 1 or 2 of them in my years and found them well built and unique sounding. Nice to hear from someone other than arelative that they belive in exceeding the customers expectations as well. Regardless of where a bass is manufactered or assembled, there quality is getting really, really good. Like always, if a bass, any bass, makes you want to play...buy it!
-Lowfreq

Offline JTE

• http://sistergroove.com
« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2005, 07:58:10 PM »
I have three Laklands- two US 4-94's and a Skyline 55-01.  I got the first 4-94 used, and after playing it for a few years I took it to the Lakland shop in Chicago.  I wanted the frets dressed, and the electronics tidied up (the previoius owner had modded the electronics and I put them back- but my eyes aren't as good as they once were so my soldering while acceptable, wasn't as tidy as the factory job had been).  

Dan Lakin met me at the door, welcomed me in, and gave me the tour.  Then Karl took my bass and spent several hours redoing it.  They buffed the bridge, dressed and leveled the frets, put a new nut on, changed the truss rod nut from the old slotted head style to a bullet type, restrung it, and set it up.  Karl gave it to me, watched me play it for a while then took it back and tweaked the action and truss rod.  Now I used to manage a guitar store, and I've never had anyone else set up my basses in the last twenty years.  And Karl nailed it exactly where I would have set it.  Plus he worked through lunch to do this for me.

The whole time Karl was working on my bass I was given free rein to play everything in the shop.  That meant I spent several hours playing Joe Osbornes, Bob Glaubs, fretless, Jerry Scheffs', etc. etc.  And I had open access to just about every bass amp/cabinet there was.  They had- Eden WT-400, D410XLT, SWR something or other, ancient Ampeg SVT, Acoustic 370, Epifani, Ashdown, Bergantino, Trace Elliot, mid 70's Fender Bassman 10, etc.  Dan asked me to play the prototypes of the Korean basses he had just gotten in and give him feedback on them.  He also brought my wife some tea and some books to read so she wouldn't be bored!

When they were done I asked how much, and he said it was all warranty work- I reminded him that I got the bass used, and he said it was my cosulting fee for reviewing the Skylines!   Didn't even charge me for the strings, and he apologized for not having any T-shirts in stock.

Great people and a wonderful product.

jte

Eschew Obfuscation...
What would Willie Weeks do?

http://www.flickr.com/photos/9533200@N04/

WT-400, Lakland & Fender basses