Author Topic: Avalon Anyone?  (Read 1670 times)

Offline 1954bassman

Avalon Anyone?
« on: February 23, 2006, 04:00:36 PM »
Any of you guys using an Avalon U5. I recently won one on eBay, somewhat unexpectedly. I mainly play direct, most of the time I use a cheapo ART Studio V3. I have only fooled with the Avalon for one practice, and I really am having trouble 'hearing' what the big deal is on this unit. There is a review on Harmony Central (or) Musicians Friend that raves about "selling my Eden gear".

If any of you are using this unit, perhaps a little help on the settings you are using. Right now, I think my $75 ART sounds better. I was planning on using the Avalon as a direct box live with my Acoustic Gospel group, but now I am thinking I should just buy a used Eden and use it for a DI.

Mark

Bass with Grace
Bass with Grace
quote:
The Older I Get,

The Less I Know

Offline Mr. C

Avalon Anyone?
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2006, 05:03:41 PM »
IMO, it comes down to preferences......  

The Avalon is a high quality D.I., but it may not be the sound you are looking for.  IIRC, the Art is quite colored sounding, and the Avalon is more transparent.  Maybe you prefer more color?  I would try out tone shape positions 1,2,3, and 4 and see if one of those gets you in the ballpark.

Offline Mr. C

Avalon Anyone?
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2006, 05:08:36 PM »
Here's the Bass Player review: http://www.avalondesign.com/review25.html

Quote:

We preferred TONE positions 1 and 3 for fingerstyle playing and position 2 for slapping. Position 4 sounded the flattest of the EQ curves, and the rolled-off bass positions 5 and 6 might be useful in especially boomy live situations, or when you need to really cut through a recording. In short, all the TONE position sounded useful given the right circumstances.

Offline Superfly

• http://herne.tripod.com/funkisland.html
Avalon Anyone?
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2006, 06:33:53 AM »
There is a guy on this forum (Steve C) who used to use an Avalon with a QSC power amp, and switched to an Eden WT550, instead.

« Last Edit: February 24, 2006, 06:34:11 AM by Superfly »
http://www.nova4x4.com/uploads/021205/mybassrigs.jpg

"You can always turn a high-power amp down, but you can never get more headroom from a low-power amp than what it has to offer!"

Offline buffordbass

• http://kensavageandthebestkeptsecret.com
Avalon Anyone?
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2006, 09:20:13 AM »
1954... I tried an Avalon (luckily borrowed from a friend & not purchased) and was pretty disappointed after all the hype I had heard about them. It was "nice", but I prefer the using the DI on my WT-300, and is about the same size & weight.

================================================
Just an old 4 string playin' fool!!!!
...life is good!!!!

www.kensavageandthebestkeptsecret.com

================================================
'02 - Stingray 4 (Honeyburst), '87 P-Bass (MIJ LPB)

just an old 4 string playin' fool ...life is good!!!!

www.kensavageandthebestkeptsecret.com

www.myspace.com/kdogclub

Offline Superfly

• http://herne.tripod.com/funkisland.html
Avalon Anyone?
« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2006, 09:47:39 AM »
I concur...

The DI off the WT300 is very sweet.
http://www.nova4x4.com/uploads/021205/mybassrigs.jpg

"You can always turn a high-power amp down, but you can never get more headroom from a low-power amp than what it has to offer!"

Offline bigredbass

Avalon Anyone?
« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2006, 07:12:48 PM »
They are used almost exclusively here in Nashville for direct boxes.  It is an extremely neutral tone, sounds dry to a lot of people.  Very well built. The rotary switch either has a tone you like among it's choices, or you're just out of luck as there's no other tone modifiers.  I feel like it's really meant to capture the sound of your axe and set up a great signal to be EQ'd and Effect'd by the outboards at the board while recording.  It's great at that.

As for an Avalon preamp to go with a power amp rig, the 737SP is just unbelievably good, but for $2300 it ought to be !  This is another one of the 'channel strip' preamps we see more and more of now with a tube included to warm up this digitally recorded world.  And lots of them are including an unbalanced instrument input as well as an XLR for mics, so there's lots of choices out there besides the traditional instrument preamps like the Navigator.

J o e y
J o e y

Eden Metro/D115XLT/Nemesis N28S

Alembic Spoiler Five, Alembic Elan Five, Yamaha BB5000, 5000A, 5000AII

Offline Lowfreq

Avalon Anyone?
« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2006, 10:41:37 AM »
Have you heard the U5 recorded in a band context or just your bass by itself? I have found high end DI's like the U5 and all Radial models to show their stuff 'in the mix'. These type of DI boxes are about low noise, clean\\pure\\no coloring, 'what you hear is what you sound like', type of tone.

They are not for every one though.
-Lowfreq

Offline 1954bassman

Avalon Anyone?
« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2006, 11:08:30 AM »
Okay, I used the Avalon Saturday night on a gig with the Acoustic Gospel group I play with. I ended up not using any of the presets, just the pure direct with my G&L L2500 fretless. I was very pleased with the results, as I of course love the sound of the G&L to start with. My band mates (wife included) and the sound woman were not much help, as they responded that I always get a great bass tone.

One thing I noticed was how the sound stayed hugh and clear, even during passages where I really dug in and played hard. I play finger-style, using Chrome Flats. The highs may have been subdued slightly, but that works to my advantage in keeping a smooth sound while playing aggressive parts.

Overall, after just the one outing, I am pleased with the Avalon. No heavenly Edenistic tone, but a good tone nevertheless. Next week end, I may try using my WT330 as a DI with the same group.

My Eden rig lies dormant at this time, as my only playing gigs right now are the rest home gig (using a Bassman 25), and my wife and mine's Acoustic Gospel group (DI or GK 150MB). Both fretless gigs, so my fretted chops are getting neglected also.

Mark

Bass with Grace
Bass with Grace
quote:
The Older I Get,

The Less I Know

Offline RDUB

Avalon Anyone?
« Reply #9 on: February 28, 2006, 07:42:37 AM »
I've used the U5 and a more full featured Avalon for studio recordings.  (Sorry, but I don't know the model number.)  The U5 does exactly what a high quality DI should - the sound that comes out is EXACTLY the sound that went in!  Unless you use the tone shaping switch, of course.  I've been able to get very good bass sounds that don't get lost as easily in the mix.  
I've never used one for live work, though, which is where a coloured sound is more acceptable, and may even be necessary.  

The DI from my WT-550 sounds great for live use, but I've recorded with it as well!

So...  You pays your money and you takes your chance, and you get to figger out which sound works best for your uses!

RDUB...
Bass Is Fundamental
RDUB...
Bass Is Fundamental

WT-550...210XLT(8)...210XST(8)...210XST(8)...Aguilar DB750

Offline n/a

• deleted
Avalon Anyone?
« Reply #10 on: February 28, 2006, 09:19:59 AM »
I've been playing through a U5 for 3 years at my church.  I like it very much, but as others have said it's just a great DI, not a coloring unit.  The church also has a Bass Pod XT, and I've been using different amp/cab models along with the U5 to get a fairly good sound.  Interstingly enough, I like the "Adam and Eve" tone with the U5, which models an Eden amp.  

I used to play an Ibanez SRX705, and I didn't really get the tone I liked with the U5 unless I used the POD.  With my Stingray5, I can get a great sound without the POD.  One of the things I want to do when I get my wt550 in is use it as a DI box only in place of the U5 to see how it sounds.

Stingray5, DR Hi-Beams, finger style funk, slap, fusion, gospel
Jason

Offline bassistjoe

Avalon Anyone?
« Reply #11 on: February 28, 2006, 12:38:46 PM »
I have a U5 in my rack and won't play without it. I do like the DI on my WT800 but usually the engineer wants to split my signal before it goes to my amp so I run my bass into a DBX 160A into the Avalon and split into my EDEN and the snake. I love it. I tend to use positions 2 and 3 mostly. I use position 4 for the classic rock stuff that I play. The rest of the tones are more for guitar and other instruments. When we play direct and I use IEM's I take my rack with the DBX and Avalon and it kills.

Proud EDEN user and endorser.
random guy