Author Topic: WT 550 - bought on evilbay!  (Read 2167 times)

Offline 1954bassman

WT 550 - bought on evilbay!
« on: December 03, 2005, 12:52:01 PM »
As some of the regulars here know, I have been scouting for months for a small combo amp to replace my ancient GK 150MB. In fact, right now in my practice room / home studio I have set up:

* Fender Bassman 25 (25w - 10")<mine>
* Fender Bassman 150 (150w - 12") <45 day trial>
* Mesa Walkabout Scout (300w - 12") <30 day trial>
* Eden WT330 / D112T (240w - 12") <mine>
I also have my D410T cab in here, but I have not hooked it up yet.

I am conducting a serious comparison, a "shoot-out" if you will. [:D]   I am taking my time, evaluating each amp with a variety of basses (mostly G&L  [:p] so far), at various volume settings, while experimenting with each amp’s controls. I also plan to take the ‘loaner’ amps out into the field during the holidays. I work for FedEx, so this will be a slow process. I will post my conclusions, probably around the first of 2006.

As might be expected, my Eden rig is running at the front of the pack so far. [:)]  The Mesa is a great amp also, with my wife and myself both enjoying the smooth sound it gets. I am somewhat fearful, however, that this smooth, soft sound here in my studio, will translate into a mushy, indistinct fissle [:(] in a live setting.

Anyway, last night, after an hour of grueling testing, an idea came to me: Why not look at buying another Eden head, use it at church with my D410T, and take the WT330 / D112XLT rig on the road.  [8D] My wife said she had actually been thinking the same thoughts. [;)] So I got on Evilbay this morning, and without trying, bought a WT550 for $555.66.  [8D]  I am still in somewhat of a shocked state, as I had no real intentions of actually buying an Eden today.  [}:)]

So to my friends in the garden, do you think I am on the right track: WT550 / D410T (540w) {4 ohm}combo to leave a church (drums, piano, Telecaster with 50w Egnator 1-12, organ, fiddle, harp, praise team); and the WT330 / D112T combo for our weekend acoustic Gospel group (no drums, mandolin, fiddle, dobro, acoustic guitar, female trio).

Mark

Bass with Grace
Bass with Grace
quote:
The Older I Get,

The Less I Know

Offline Vinny D

• http://www.myspace.com/vinnydagostino
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2005, 01:12:52 PM »
I don't think you can ever have enough gear!!! But that is a great price on the 550 and will work well with the D410T.

http://mysite.verizon.net/vzeek9mb/vinnysbasspage/

Offline Fretlessboy

• We always come back to the garden
    • http://www.DennisMichaels.com
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2005, 01:22:35 PM »
I think it is very smart... you can also run both cabs off the 550 for outdoor summer concerts. Congrats on the deal.

DennisMichaels Eden endorser    
Wt550/WT400/D210XST/D112XLT (X2)
'65 P-bass StingRay5 ,L2K and Zeta Crossover

www.DennisMichaels.com
DennisMichaels
Rebuilding a piece at a time
www.facebook.com/dennismichaelsbassist

Offline Moh

• http://www.rustyspurs.com
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2005, 03:34:37 AM »
Sounds like fun to me :)

Lifes like a pair of shoes .....just as you get to that comfortable stage - bits start wearing out.
Eden WT550 - 212XLT - 210XST -  DBX266 - '06 Jazz Dlxe 5
When Music Hits You - You Don't
Get Hurt - Bob Marley

Offline johnpbass

« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2005, 12:17:08 PM »
Sounds like a winner to me!

I've never been able to get my tone out of Mesa gear - seems like you turn one tone control and it changes your entire setup - or maybe that's just me?

That's cool that your wife helps you strategize gear decisions. Mine just rolls her eyes when I talk about gear. Whenever I want to buy something new she quotes me: "okay I'm set with gear now - I don't need anything else!" But she doesn't complain about my buying stuff though[:D]

John P.
John P.
WT400, D112XLT8
MM Sting Ray 5, G&L L2000, 74 Rickenbacker 4001, Michael Kelly Club Deluxe 5

Offline Fretlessboy

• We always come back to the garden
    • http://www.DennisMichaels.com
« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2005, 03:10:05 PM »
Just let her know that Eden costs less then a divorce.

DennisMichaels Eden endorser    
Wt550/WT400/D210XST/D112XLT (X2)
'65 P-bass StingRay5 ,L2K and Zeta Crossover

www.DennisMichaels.com
DennisMichaels
Rebuilding a piece at a time
www.facebook.com/dennismichaelsbassist

Offline johnpbass

« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2005, 08:40:24 AM »
LOL!!!  That's True!

John P.
John P.
WT400, D112XLT8
MM Sting Ray 5, G&L L2000, 74 Rickenbacker 4001, Michael Kelly Club Deluxe 5

Offline 1954bassman

« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2005, 01:18:59 PM »
Well here it is only four days later, and testing is pretty much over.

My deal on the WT550 fell through, even though I won the amp on the Ebay auction, I decided to nix the whole deal. A short explanation:

* the seller could (would) not provide me with a photo of the actual amp.
* he wanted payment in a money order made out to "cash".
* delivered to a "Mailboxes, Etc."
* he had no physical address or phone
* his Paypal account had been revoked

As far as the amp shoot-out, I really don't know why I waste my time on this stuff. In my make-beleive home studio, all the amps sounded reasonabily good. but then...

The Fender Bassman 150 is made in Indonesia..[xx(] ...thanks but no thanks.

The Boogie Walkabout sounded 'masked' or 'dull' [:(] compared to my Eden rig. [:D] In fact, I hate to admit this, but at church, the church's Peavey 150 TKO actually sounded better that the Boogie. It at least had some brightness.

So I guess I will perhaps turn my attention toward the Nemesis line. [;)]

By the way, Vinny, I bought that G&L L2500 Tribute for $305 on Evilbay, and I really like it. The electronics are cheesy, but the pickups sound great and the neck just feels 'right'. This puts me at (2) USA's and one Tribute
. [8D]

Mark

Bass with Grace
Bass with Grace
quote:
The Older I Get,

The Less I Know

Offline Vinny D

• http://www.myspace.com/vinnydagostino
« Reply #8 on: December 07, 2005, 01:27:39 PM »
Good thing you did not go through with the 550 purchase, That sounds like you where going to just through money away and get nothing in return.

You can never have enough G&L's in my book Mark!! I would contact G&L and request some new pots for the tribute, They usually send them out at no charge. Thats one thing I never understood about the tribute line, They use the American made pickup but not the electronics, Is there really that much cost savings in the little bit of electronics that are in there to make it worth while knowing that they will have to be changed out anyway.

Post a pic when you get a chance!!

http://mysite.verizon.net/vzeek9mb/vinnysbasspage/

Offline Moh

• http://www.rustyspurs.com
« Reply #9 on: December 09, 2005, 06:24:31 AM »
That does sound dodgey Mark - glad you didn't take a chance mate.

Lifes like a pair of shoes .....just as you get to that comfortable stage - bits start wearing out.
Eden WT550 - 212XLT - 210XST -  DBX266 - '06 Jazz Dlxe 5
When Music Hits You - You Don't
Get Hurt - Bob Marley

Offline John the Barbarian

« Reply #10 on: December 10, 2005, 12:48:13 AM »
There was nothing wrong with your original idea, and that certainly will not be the only Eden head to pass through ebay.  Just keep on bidding, you'll be amazed at how many items you can win on there if you set a reasonable stopping point and just keep trying.  I'd also keep an eye out for the D115XLT.  It is a wonderful cab, and I think just right for what you appear to be doing.  Then you can just haul your head around.  That certainly shouldn't be a problem with one of the smaller Eden heads.

-jda-

The perfect solution for every problem.

WP100 - WT800 - WT1550 - D115XLT - D115XLT - D210XLT - D410XLT - D810XLT

Nothing exceeds like excess.
-jda-

Bass, the amniotic fluid of life.
WP100 - WT800 - WT1250 - D212XLT - D115XLT - D115XLT - D410XLT - D410XLT - D810XLT