Author Topic: Rip Van Dan with J Badders Band at Amarillo Tavern  (Read 462 times)

Offline Rip Van Dan

Rip Van Dan with J Badders Band at Amarillo Tavern
« on: May 05, 2019, 02:23:33 PM »
So last night (Saturday, May 4th) we played at the Amarillo Restaurant and Tavern in Monroe, WA.  It's about half an hour from here and this is the second time we've played there.  It was an 8 to 11 PM gig.  Last time we were there the stage was 30" tall.  It was much shorter than that this time, although my lousy knees still had a bit of a problem getting on and off the stage.  Last time we were there I brought my 410.  This time they asked us not to bring amps, but to run through their FOH system.

That made for an interesting night.  I brought my WTDI (got to have my Eden sound you know!), my new Line6 G10s wireless, mic + stand, stage stool, and of course my bass.  So haul-in and tear down were pretty easy.  OK, I fudged my bets and brought along my two EX112 cabs and my WT500/800 head "just in case".  Didn't end up needing them and I left them in the truck all night.

I plugged my wireless into my WTDI and my WTDI into the board.  FOH had two tower speakers mounted up high and an 18" subwoofer (130 Hz and lower) right in front of the stage on the floor.  I cut the bass EQ to 11 o'clock, boosted the 500Hz low-mids to 2 o'clock, and actually boosted the treble to 1 o'clock.  I almost NEVER boost the treble.  Anyhow, with the EQ set like that, it sounded like my normal "EQ flat with only a low-mid boost" sound.  This was the sound in our monitors and I presume it was similar out front.  In any case I was pleased with it.  I had the gain set at 1 o'clock and the master at 10:30.  The Fellow setting up the sound showed me his board setting for me and while everyone else's levels were set up near the top, Mine was set way down near the bottom of the slider because the signal from my WTDI was so strong.

Took a bit of doing to dial in the sound and even after we thought we had it, we had to make a number of adjustments through the first set.  About three songs in, everything was pretty good.  We could hear pretty well through our monitors and the sound out front was evidently the best it's ever been according to some of our loyal followers.  And with the digital mixers, it's actually easy to save the settings that worked, so that you at least have a good starting point to work from next time.  I think we are back there in June and I will leave my amp and speakers behind next time and just bring my WTDI...got to love that WTDI!

OH...and I forgot to mention...this club is renowned for their Bar BQ ribs.  As part of our gig we got paid our normal rate for a 3-hour gig, plus got one free round of beer and a free meal.  We also got $80 in tips last night, which was amazing.  I ordered my meal too late to eat it, so I brought it home and I'm planning on a nice lunch of a half-rack of Baby Back Ribs  today.

« Last Edit: May 05, 2019, 11:55:07 PM by Rip Van Dan »
Rip Van Dan
Dan Gracia
'82 US-made Fender Jazz Bass with maple neck
5-string Rogue LX405 Pro (Surprisingly good "no-name" bass)
WT500/800 Highwayman (signature model)
D.N.S 410-8, Eden EX112 x2
Line6 G10s wireless
==
spares:
Eden RS400, GK BK250, BPX115 cab, acoustic B410 cab, Sunn Beta 202 (2x12)

Offline Bassmann1968

• Administrator
Re: Rip Van Dan with J Badders Band at Amarillo Tavern
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2019, 12:18:17 AM »
Nice, we love that WTDI.
Enjoy your meal and Rock on :D
Armin

PLEASE LIKE EDEN ON FACEBOOK!!!
No schematics available!!! Don't ask for it.
;)

WTP-Pre,1350,WTX260,WT300/400,WT1000,WTX1000N,NAV,WTDI
D112XLT,D210XST,D410XLT,D810RP,DNS410,DNS112

Offline jcadmus

« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2019, 11:30:15 AM »
What type of wireless are you using? And do you like it? I'm thinking about getting one.

Edit: Or I could just look at your sig. But the second question stands -- do you like it?
« Last Edit: May 06, 2019, 01:22:05 PM by jcadmus »
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
'76 Fender Jazz Bass, Pedulla Rapture J2-5, Music Man Stingray 5, Eden World Tour 550, Eden Terra Nova 501, Eden D210XST, Eden D410XLT, Eden D210XLT, DBX 160XT compressor, Furman power conditioners.

Offline Rip Van Dan

« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2019, 08:15:39 PM »
Hey Jim,

Yeah, I just barely bought and have only used it a few times.  Previously I used a Line6 XDS95 wireless.  It works great but eats batteries and can not be used outside of the US.  The one I recently got is the Line6 G10s  (not the G10 but the G10s). 

I got it for a couple of reasons.  First was that it had a rechargeable transmitter that takes about 3 hours to accumulate an 8 hour charge.  It has no cables to plug in and I don't have to mount it on my bass strap like I do with the XDS95.  I typically get 5 hours out of a 9-volt battery on the XDS95 so I always buy a new battery for every gig and use whatever is left during our rehearsals.  In three uses I've already saved $15+.

On the XDS95, that darn cable from the transmitter to my bass kept getting caught up on my guitar stand.  Since the G10s doesn't have any cables, that doesn't happen. When I put my bass down, I just pull the transmitter from the front of the bass and put it in my pocket.  If I forget to pull it, it will auto shut off after 4 minutes of no signal.  That's pretty handy.  The transmitter plugs into the metal stomp-box style receiver to charge up and also for storage. It can be used anywhere in the world and no license is required to use it.

you can also hot-switch instruments with it.  As soon as you pull the transmitter from the Jack, it cuts itself off and won't start up again until you re-insert it in your instrument's jack.  That's a handy feature for hot-swapping to a 5-string from a 4-string or for that matter swapping to a guitar or other instrument.

The unit will auto select the best channel if you put it in auto-select, or you can choose any of 11 specific channels.  Channel strength lights will light up to show you how reliable they are.  If you get all 3 lights showing green, you're good for about 130-feet line of sight.  The fewer the lights the lower the distance.  It also displays your transmitter's battery level with another set of lights.

The transmitter also has a strength light.  It shines green as long as you have more than ½-hour of power left.  When you have less than half an hour left, it flashes red.  When I put it in my  bass, I make sure that indicator light is facing up so I can easily see it.

The receiver has a normal 1/4" instrument out, an XLR balanced out, a micro USB connector for software updates that can also be used to power it, a 9-volt power supply input (power supply is provided with it), and a "cable tone" switch.  Since the wireless is digital, you can choose: off, 10-ft. or 30-ft cable emulation.  That is to imitate the treble loss you get with cables at 10 and 30-ft. (not much use on a bass).  The receiver itself is a steel box as opposed to the plastic of the XDS95. Unfortunately it doesn't fit in the accessory well of my hard case very well because it's taller than my XDS95.  So I put it in my gig bag.

First time I used it at the Brewpub, it kept cutting out.  Wasn't sure if it was my amp or the wireless at first.  Then I was watching my amp for clipping light (didn't come on) and I watched the channel strength lights on the receiver.  Lights showed all 3 green and then when it dropped out again, the channel lights turned to one red light momentarily when it cut out.  So I grabbed my cable and plugged it in.

The next time I used it at the same place, plugged into a different power source and had zero problems.  I dialed the channel selection to each offering and only 2 of the 11 showed 3 green lights.  So I set it back in auto-select and it worked just fine.  The first time I used it, I was plugged into a power strip that was next to and powering the neon sign.  That may have had something to do with it.  Just used it on Friday and Saturday and it worked like a champ.

Here's the transmitter part.  It's no taller than the metal plug on my instrument cables, but they include a 90° plug adapter if you don't want it sticking straight out.  I can see it best like this and it's not in the way.  The light will show green as long as you have more than 30-minutes charge remaining.  When it drops below that, the light flashes red. This is sooooooo much better and more convenient than the cable to the transmitter on my bass strap on my XDS95.:

Here's the receiver part.  This is what it looks like when I'm playing.  The signal lights are at max and the charge lights (2 green lights) mean more than 3 hours left.  With 3 green lights it would mean more than 6 hours charge remains:

And this picture shows what it looks like with the transmitter docked for charging.

For the time being I'm still carrying my old XDS95 in my guitar case because it fits in, but I  don't expect that I really need it anymore.  I also use my G10s at home plugged into my computer audio interface with zero problems so far and I'll sometimes practice for 3 or 4-hours at a time.

Dan

« Last Edit: May 06, 2019, 08:19:28 PM by Rip Van Dan »
Rip Van Dan
Dan Gracia
Line6 G10s wireless
==
spares:

Offline Bassmann1968

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2019, 02:26:12 AM »
Nice device, Dan.
I'm happy to see that Line6 finally got a proper version without cables and charging in the receiver.
That was the reason I bought 5 years ago a device from a dutch company called StageClix. It had all those features already.
Three years ago I switched to the newer model which works now with 5GHz instead of 2.4GHz.
I did build it into my 19" aux rack.

Armin

;)

Offline Rip Van Dan

« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2019, 01:46:05 PM »
That's a sweet set-up Armin!

Yeah this one is the 2.4GHz and it expressly warns you not to put it within 10-feet of a router or other RF transmitters.  I have a router for my computer that does both 2.4 and 5 GHz under my computer desk, but it doesn't seem to bother the wireless on top of my 'puter tower.

I guess another impetus to getting my new Line6 was that I'm gigging often enough that I have some money put aside to use for "music upgrades (G.A.S.)".  Plus, I really got tired of feeding my old wireless batteries and having the transmitter lie on the floor when I put my bass in its stand and then get stuck on the arm of my guitar stand when I try to pull it up. So the gig money is definitely a nice addition. I've used that gig money to get my TN226 and my two EX112 cabs.

One disadvantage of the Line6 G10s is that the receiver is taller than the accessories well in my case.  I can still put it in there and close the case, but it squeezes it a bit to do that.  So, I'm putting it in my gig bag instead.  Was bummed it didn't just fit where the old one was.

Dan
Rip Van Dan
Dan Gracia
Line6 G10s wireless
==
spares:

Offline Bassmann1968

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2019, 12:21:10 AM »
Yep, I love it.
The StageClix would fit. Very small receiver.

Armin

;)

Offline jcadmus

« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2019, 11:14:28 AM »
Thanks for the great info, fellas. Still deciding what I want to do. The G10S sounds sweet, but frankly at $250, that's a pretty expensive replacement for a cable.
'76 Fender Jazz Bass, Pedulla Rapture J2-5, Music Man Stingray 5, Eden World Tour 550, Eden Terra Nova 501, Eden D210XST, Eden D410XLT, Eden D210XLT, DBX 160XT compressor, Furman power conditioners.

Offline Rip Van Dan

« Reply #8 on: May 08, 2019, 04:28:13 PM »
Yeah it's normally found for $279.  I bought mine when Musician's Friend had a 20% sale.  Put it in my cart and it said the sale didn't apply to this item but to give them a call.  Called them and they apologized that they couldn't do a 20% off as that was to a specific group of items.  Then they offered me 15% off.  I took that and then had $20 in rewards with them, so it came to $210 total for me and was well worth it.

Reason for that is that I'm typically performing at ~6 gigs per month.  Each battery costs about $5 and lasts for about 5-hours.  So I need to get a new battery for each performance.  Figure $30 a month for 12-months = $360 in batteries.  So I saved $150 by getting this wireless and next year I'll save $360.

I like to be able to move around on and off stage (sound-check) and one time...long ago...I got tangled up in my cord while doing Chuck Berry's "duck walk".  Worked fine going across stage in one direction but then I turned around the wrong way and wrapped my legs right up.  I don't do that duck walk anymore, but I still like the freedom to move around as much as I want without worrying about a cord.  So for me it makes sense.  Your mileage may vary.

Dan
« Last Edit: May 09, 2019, 12:52:03 PM by Rip Van Dan »
Rip Van Dan
Dan Gracia
Line6 G10s wireless
==
spares:

Offline jcadmus

« Reply #9 on: May 09, 2019, 11:24:39 AM »
Frankly that's the big attraction -- tidying up the set up and not killing myself mid-performance by tripping over a cable.

Again, thanks for the great information.