Author Topic: WTX 264 is crackling  (Read 265 times)

Offline Vinochezz

WTX 264 is crackling
« on: March 31, 2019, 03:35:11 AM »
Hi guys, I have a problem with my WTX 264 and its set level indicator. The indicator light on my loudest or lowest tone, that´ s OK, but always is accompained by a crackle coming from the speaker. When I am keeping it light on by loud playing, there is no crackle, only when it is activated for the first time.
Did anybody come across this problem ?
Thanks

Offline Rip Van Dan

Re: WTX 264 is crackling
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2019, 12:54:34 PM »
Hi Vinochezz,

Welcome to the Garden!

When was the last time you cleaned all the 1/4" jacks on your WTX264?  A lot of "unknown" crackling and intermittent problems come from dirty or corroded 1/4" jacks on the amp.  The signal train of the amp goes through virtually all of the jacks on the back and some on the front and if one of them gets corroded, it can interrupt that signal chain and cause the problem you describe.  This is especially true of the jacks that you don't use.  Jacks you use at least have a plug that knocks off some of the corrosion when it contacts it. Unused ones don't.

So the first thing you should do is use some DeOxit 5 (red label can) if you're in the US to clean all the jacks.  It's a simple thing to do. Spray a little directly into the jack and then spray some on the tip and barrel of a 1/4" plug.  Move the plug in and out of each jack 10 to 15 times and that will eliminate the corrosion.  Let the amp sit for 15-minutes after your finish before turning it on so everything dries out coompletely before firing it back up.  Repeat this cleaning on an annual basis to keep your amp in good shape.

Let us know if the cleaning takes care of the problem.  If it doesn't, we have a few electronics gurus here who can help you further .

Dan
Rip Van Dan
Dan Gracia
'82 US-made Fender Jazz Bass with maple neck
5-string Rogue LX405 Pro (Surprisingly good "no-name" bass)
WT500/800 Highwayman (signature model)
D.N.S 410-8, Eden EX112 x2
Line6 G10s wireless
==
spares:
Eden RS400, GK BK250, BPX115 cab, acoustic B410 cab, Sunn Beta 202 (2x12)

Offline Vinochezz

Re: WTX 264 is crackling
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2019, 03:11:37 PM »
Thanks for the tip !
I have never cleaned these jacks, so I'll do it as soos as I can and I will inform you about the result.