Author Topic: TN226: how silent is it?  (Read 309 times)

Offline TonyM

TN226: how silent is it?
« on: March 27, 2019, 06:45:57 PM »
Hi everyone.

I'm looking around for my first amp. I will be using it in my studio on a 210 cab (Vanderkley: 8 ohms, 2xNeodymium+tweeter ).

I'm interested in the TN226, even with the 8 ohm speaker it should be enough power for my studio the blast the plaster from the walls. :)

I have evaluated some other amps like the GK MB500, MarkBass Little III. Those amps are very noisy when they are powered on: there's just a lot of background hissing at gain/master volume 0 and muted inputs. That noise could be even heard outside my studio!
This may be fine on stage, but I'm afraid that's not acceptable to me in the studio.

I searched the forum, and I found one post mentioning "It has no hum at all when powered on and I'll only notice a slight hiss when the volume is turned up fairly high". Now, that sounds good, a slight hiss at high volumes is perfectly acceptable.

I hope I can get more confirmation on the hissing from you,s o I want to ask: how "silent" is the TN226, in terms of background hissing?

(The level may be hard to define, I'm looking for experiences like "hardly audible from the tweeter at 1 meters distance". Dead-silent is ok too ofcourse :)
)

Thanks!

Tony

Offline Rip Van Dan

Re: TN226: how silent is it?
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2019, 07:25:47 PM »
Hi TonyM,

I just wrote a fair amount about the TN amps in response to your introduction, so be sure to see my comments there.

Regarding how quiet it is, it is Dead Quiet when I am using it and I'm running the master at ~noon most of the time.  Because it's a Class D amp that uses power switching to generate the  power, it's far cooler than a regular amp.  Because it runs so coolly the TN226 doesn't even have a fan.  I think the TN501 does have a thermostatically controlled fan, but I'm not sure.  In any case, I have to look to see if the porchlight is on (the Eden logo is lit up) to see if my amp is powered up.

This amp also records REALLY well.  You can run the DI either pre-EQ or post-EQ.  With one of the groups I belong to, we record every rehearsal.  I send a post-EQ sound from my amp to the board because I always run some boost in the low-mids around 250Hz.  Every time I hear the recordings, I marvel at how good my bass sounds.  The amp is just so clear and sounds so good.  One problem with it though is that the amp is so clear and so articulate, you hear every single mistake you make.  So it forces you to up your technique.

Dan
Rip Van Dan
Dan Gracia
'82 US-made Fender Jazz Bass with maple neck
5-string Rogue LX405 Pro (Surprisingly good "no-name" bass)
WT500/800 Highwayman (signature model)
D.N.S 410-8, Eden EX112 x2
Line6 G10s wireless
==
spares:
Eden RS400, GK BK250, BPX115 cab, acoustic B410 cab, Sunn Beta 202 (2x12)

Offline jcadmus

« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2019, 07:34:33 AM »
I have the big brother, the TN501, and it's pretty quiet. But a couple things to note:
-- The fan runs continuously;
-- I've found the DI on mine to be a bit noisy, particularly when the unit is not even on.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
'76 Fender Jazz Bass, Pedulla Rapture J2-5, Music Man Stingray 5, Eden World Tour 550, Eden Terra Nova 501, Eden D210XST, Eden D410XLT, Eden D210XLT, DBX 160XT compressor, Furman power conditioners.

Offline Rip Van Dan

« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2019, 04:36:41 PM »
The TN226 doesn't have a fan, so no fan noise.  I'm surprised Jim had a problem with the DI.  The Eden DI's have been super quiet in all of their amps for as long as they've been around. 

Unlike previous Eden DI's though, these TN's have a DI pad button (push in to drop DI level) instead of the fully adjustable ones found on the earlier Eden amps and the new Eden WTP amps.  The DI on my TN226 is absolutely dead quiet and records extremely well.

Dan

Rip Van Dan
Dan Gracia
'82 US-made Fender Jazz Bass with maple neck
5-string Rogue LX405 Pro (Surprisingly good "no-name" bass)
WT500/800 Highwayman (signature model)
D.N.S 410-8, Eden EX112 x2
Line6 G10s wireless
==
spares:
Eden RS400, GK BK250, BPX115 cab, acoustic B410 cab, Sunn Beta 202 (2x12)