Author Topic: Clip Lite on WT-405  (Read 492 times)

Offline hammer

• God Bless the Thin Blue Line
Clip Lite on WT-405
« on: March 24, 2019, 10:56:38 PM »
Hi Guys, I need some help. I have a 405, brand new, that I bought when I heard they were being discontinued. Well my Clip lite will not work ! no matter what I do with the volume it will not light up. Do I need to be concerned ? Is there anyway to fix it ? I just want to thank you guys. You are  always so helpful.
thanks,
Hank
Sadowsky "Will Lee"- 4, Mike Lull V4, Epiphone "Jack Casady", Fender 62' Reissue, Eden WT-405, Eden D-212XLT, Hartke HD 25, Peavey Micro Bass 20w, Peavey Basic 112, Hartke LH1000 and 2 Hartke HD410's

Offline Paulinderwick

• Jimmy C and the Bluesdragons
Re: Clip Lite on WT-405
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2019, 04:00:13 AM »
I'm not sure I've ever managed to get the clip light flashing on my WT330, an earlier version of the same amplifier.  Having said that, first things first, are you setting up the amp the "Eden" way?  Back in the day when the founder of Eden, David Nordshow, and Lane Baldwin was active, there was a formula for getting the right sound.  First turn the master to zero, and have all EQ at 12 o'clock - no boost, no gain (yet). I also turn the compression down (not keen on it) and have the "enhance" off - it is only useful at low volume levels and most people on this forum have very little, certainly no more than 9 o'clock, it removes the mids that you need to cut through the mix and boosts the bass frequencies effectuively sucking power from the output.  Left hand microswitches next for me although once set they have stayed the same for ever, depending on how hot the signal from your bass is, have high or low.  I don't feel it is simply a question of active or passive.  When I used an active bass with a Sadowsky inbuilt pre-amp I still treated it as passive, it wasn't hot enough to need the reduction in db.  I also like the "warm" effect.  Now as your master volume is at zero you are not putting any load on to your cabs.  Bring the gain up whilst playing the hardest you can, the hardest you play during your performance.  Now you should see the clip light dancing green - I have just tried it with my amp and Jazz bass - nothing.  My clip light has never danced either! So what to do?  Carrying on with the procedure, if you find the dancing green light great, I tend to keep my input gain at about 2 o'clock, never higher.  Now bring up the master to the level you want for gig, and then adjust the EQ to suit the room.  Your best friend is your ears - if you stress the speakers you'll hear a farting noise, back off.  I sometimes switch on treble boost.  Lane suggested switching on the bass boost, never liked it myself.  Do you need to be concerned?  I have seen other posts on the forum suggesting that we are not alone but in the 14 years I have had and used this amp I've never worried about the absence of the dancing light as long as I sounded OK.  Like you I'm curious as to why some see it but a lot of us don't...
UK member, WT330, WTX260, 2 x EX112 (both 4 ohm), WTDI, and a Microtour as well as a Roland Super Cube Bass, Blackstar HT5, Fender Jazz '67, Fretless Fender Jazz '70, Burns Barracuda, Epiphone EB-0, Ashbory, Stagg EUB and guitars and ukuleles and a mandolin as well

Offline Rip Van Dan

« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2019, 02:09:25 PM »
Hey Hammer,

PM me with your e-mail address and I'll send you a pdf copy of the WT405 Manual.  This amp works a little differently than most Eden amps.  One of the things that is a bit backwards is the High-gain switch (turns on the high-gain indicator light when engaged).  Most of the amps have a pad button, which typically reduces the gain signal by 12db.  The WT405's high-gain switch BOOSTS the gain signal by 10db and instructions say, "For low gain instruments use the Gian switch in the High Gain position".

Again, just drop me a PM with your e-mail and I'll e-mail you a copy.

Dan
Rip Van Dan
Dan Gracia
'82 US-made Fender Jazz Bass with maple neck
5-string Rogue LX405 Pro (Surprisingly good "no-name" bass)
WT500/800 Highwayman (signature model)
D.N.S 410-8, Eden EX112 x2
Line6 G10s wireless
==
spares:
Eden RS400, GK BK250, BPX115 cab, acoustic B410 cab, Sunn Beta 202 (2x12)

Offline Mr.Thump

« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2019, 05:01:01 PM »
On my 405 if the compressor is engaged the gain light will never flash. Could that be your problem?

Offline Paulinderwick

• Jimmy C and the Bluesdragons
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2019, 05:45:13 PM »
Could be - I usually have a little bit of compression...
UK member, WT330, WTX260, 2 x EX112 (both 4 ohm), WTDI, and a Microtour as well as a Roland Super Cube Bass, Blackstar HT5, Fender Jazz '67, Fretless Fender Jazz '70, Burns Barracuda, Epiphone EB-0, Ashbory, Stagg EUB and guitars and ukuleles and a mandolin as well

Offline Rip Van Dan

« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2019, 06:32:02 PM »
Not sure if it keeps the gain light from blinking, but wouldn't surprise me.  The WT405 has a compressor light that lights up anytime the signal crosses the threshold setting.  Basically that means when that compressor light is lit, the compressor is compressing your signal.

In the Eden amps that have an automatic compressor, the gain-set light is used to let you know the compressor is compressing UNLESS you have the compressor turned off.  I usually turn the auto compressor off because I don't like the way it sounds.  The compressor on the WT405 is far better in my opinion. With the auto-compressor you turn up the gain to get the compressor to engage sooner.   There's no need to change the gain once you have it set on your WT405 because you have a compressor threshold knob to adjust the compressor.
Rip Van Dan
Dan Gracia
'82 US-made Fender Jazz Bass with maple neck
5-string Rogue LX405 Pro (Surprisingly good "no-name" bass)
WT500/800 Highwayman (signature model)
D.N.S 410-8, Eden EX112 x2
Line6 G10s wireless
==
spares:
Eden RS400, GK BK250, BPX115 cab, acoustic B410 cab, Sunn Beta 202 (2x12)