Author Topic: WT800 and down tuning  (Read 762 times)

Offline jdaunt

WT800 and down tuning
« on: January 26, 2019, 11:24:25 PM »
I picked up a WT800C yesterday, and today while playing it through my SWR Goliath III 4 ohm cab it sounded amazing (other than a slight buzz issue with one of the speakers in the cab i need to work on). But then after awhile i decided to drop my American standard P to DGCF tuning and suddenly the amp sounded very overloaded and heavy sounding and the fan kicked on and i could smell, not necessarily a burning, but a heat smell coming from the amp. So i powered down, retuned to standard, fired it back up and all was well again.
So my question is, would dropping the tuning a step affect the Gain setting that much to where it would overload the amp? And it sounded very different all up and down the neck, not just on the low notes. I had everything setup the proper way (the way it’s described on here where you turn the Gain up til the clipping light starts to blink, then back off a couple clicks), but i didn’t reset it after dropping the tuning, and actually come to think of it, i also didn’t even re-check it when i switched to playing my P, i set it while playing my Jazz. So maybe my P has a hotter output than the J, but if anyone has any other ideas on why this may have happened, please chime in.

Offline Bassmann1968

• Administrator
Re: WT800 and down tuning
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2019, 12:27:51 AM »
Hi jdaunt and welcome to the Garden!

You are right, check/change the gain setting, when changing the bass.
I adjusted all my basses that I use at the same gig to the same output to avoid such a problem and to keep the Eden tone.
But that's easy with the active Laklands that I usually use.
Rock on!
Armin

PLEASE LIKE EDEN ON FACEBOOK!!!
No schematics available!!! Don't ask for it.
;)

WTP-Pre,1350,WTX260,WT300/400,WT1000,WTX1000N,NAV,WTDI
D112XLT,D210XST,D410XLT,D810RP,DNS410,DNS112

Offline jdaunt

« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2019, 01:41:08 AM »
Thanks for the welcome! Been a lurker here quite awhile actually, had a Nemesis RS700 for about a month last year, then traded it for an Aguilar Tone Hammer, and then regretted it so traded the TH back for this one!
After realizing that was probably my issue as i was typing the previous post, i went back and tried it and sure enough once i dialed back the Gain, it sounds awesome in drop tuning! And actually i think i’m going to leave the Gain as set for the Jazz and just turn my volume knob down on my P to lower the input, that way it’s easier to change on the fly-i sing too, so that complicates things if i change basses and forget to adjust the gain on the amp.

Offline Bassmann1968

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2019, 03:02:43 AM »
You could also set the gain for the P and then try how the J sounds.
Maybe you can rise the pickups of the J a bit to get a higher output?
Armin

PLEASE LIKE EDEN ON FACEBOOK!!!
No schematics available!!! Don't ask for it.
;)

WTP-Pre,1350,WTX260,WT300/400,WT1000,WTX1000N,NAV,WTDI
D112XLT,D210XST,D410XLT,D810RP,DNS410,DNS112