Author Topic: Rs 700 to ampeg 410hlf  (Read 776 times)

Offline Shelbyviper

Rs 700 to ampeg 410hlf
« on: January 16, 2019, 04:50:01 PM »
I really have little knowledge on connectivity issues so this is probably going to sound dumb, however how would I go about connecting this to a 4 ohm cabinet I see to speak on connections on the back of the amp to speak on connections on the back of the cabinet and is there a way of changing the setting from 2 ohm to 4 ohm? Like I said I really have no clue

Offline Paulinderwick

• Jimmy C and the Bluesdragons
Re: Rs 700 to ampeg 410hlf
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2019, 05:11:02 PM »
There is no need to change the settings at all because there are no settings.  When you connect a speaker to an amplifier it presents the amplifier with a load - the amplifier will then send an amount of power which is related to the load you give it.  So an RS700 will give you 700 watts if you present it with a 2 ohm load, but about 400 watts if you present it with a 4ohm load.  This is all automatic and is a function of the electronics involved.  The only thing you need to remember is not to present an amplifier with a load which is LOWER than it can handle.  My Wt330 will handle 2ohms without worry but my WTX260 can only handle a 4ohm load.  If you present an amplifier with a load lower than it's minimum it will overheat and potentially begin to release "magic smoke" - it will die.  As the RS700 goes down to 2ohms you have little to worry about.  I assume you acquired this second hand without a manual - here is a link to the nearest equivalent in the current/recent range - http://edenamps.net/assets/4012.017_wtb700.pdf - not exactly the same but in Eden's opinion close enough. When you have connected the amp make sure you follow the instructions on about page 10 about setting up your sound.  This is really important and will give you a great sound from the beginning - enjoy!
UK member, WT330, WTX260, 2 x EX112 (both 4 ohm), WTDI, and a Microtour as well as a Roland Super Cube Bass, Blackstar HT5, Fender Jazz '67, Fretless Fender Jazz '70, Burns Barracuda, Epiphone EB-0, Ashbory, Stagg EUB and guitars and ukuleles and a mandolin as well

Offline Shelbyviper

« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2019, 05:25:51 PM »
Thank you so much for the info I do have a manual I will absolutely be looking through it to make sure I'm doing everything correctly thank you again

Offline Rip Van Dan

« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2019, 12:20:14 AM »
Hey Shelbyviper,

Welcome to the Garden!

The manual that Paul gave you the link to is exactly right for your RS700.  The only differences between the RS700, the EN700, and WTB700 are the cosmetics.  The internals are exactly the same.  So feel free to use that manual and, as Paul recommended, pay particular attention on how to set up the gain on it.  That will give you the best sound. 

I personally have an RS400 that I still keep as a back-up for my WT500/800.  My RS400 will only go down to 4 ohms (400-watts @ 4 ohms) whereas your RS700 will go down to 2 ohms (700-watts at 2 ohms). On the RS series it's actually pretty easy to hear that sweet spot where the gain gives you the loudest and clearest signal to send to the power section, and thus get the best sound out of the amp.  Follow the gain set-up instructions in that manual and you'll find it right away.  When you adjust the EQ, bear in mind that a move of 2-clicks in any of the EQ knobs will give you a noticeable difference in your sound.  So set everything flat to begin with and then make any EQ changes slowly.

One other recommendation I'll give you about using your RS700 is to use the one semi-parametric control that you have on that amp to apply a 2 to 3 click boost at ~250Hz.  That will give you great definition and placement in the mix when playing with a group.  About the only time I didn't do that on my RS400 was when I needed to use that semi-parametric control to dial in a room.  After reading your manual a bit, don't hesitate to come back here and ask any questions you may have.

By the way, that RS700 will make your Ampeg 410hlf sound better than you thought possible... 8)

Dan
« Last Edit: January 17, 2019, 12:24:15 AM by Rip Van Dan »
Rip Van Dan
Dan Gracia
'82 US-made Fender Jazz Bass with maple neck
5-string Rogue LX405 Pro (Surprisingly good "no-name" bass)
WT500/800 Highwayman (signature model)
D.N.S 410-8, Eden EX112 x2
Line6 G10s wireless
==
spares:
Eden RS400, GK BK250, BPX115 cab, acoustic B410 cab, Sunn Beta 202 (2x12)

Offline Bassmann1968

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2019, 12:29:07 AM »
Welcome to the Garden, indeed :D
Armin

PLEASE LIKE EDEN ON FACEBOOK!!!
No schematics available!!! Don't ask for it.
;)

WTP-Pre,1350,WTX260,WT300/400,WT1000,WTX1000N,NAV,WTDI
D112XLT,D210XST,D410XLT,D810RP,DNS410,DNS112

Offline Shelbyviper

« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2019, 08:56:48 AM »
Thank you i appreciate these tidbits of help... i unfortunately have another problem... after about 20 minute of playing quietly, i noticed the fan turning on after 1 minute on standby... then it popped the fuse... being the dummy i am, i replaced the fuse... 8amp 250 volt.... turned it on only to have a hum... loud ... no sound and the fan continued to run.. i tried for no longer than 30 seconds powered it off, and we are i guess sending it for repair,  if anyone has encountered this please post... thank you again

Offline Rip Van Dan

« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2019, 01:09:36 PM »
It's not unusual for the fan to come on.  It is thermostatically controlled and comes on when the temperature reaches a specified level.  That is actually not a concern.  I would be concerned if the fan wasn't on and the chassis were more than just warm to the touch.

With the fuse, there is usually a spare in the fuse holder, but I don't remember if the Nemesis had that or not and mine is packed away at the moment so it's not easy to check.  In any case the fuse MUST be replaced with a slo-blow fuse as the normal fuse will pop when momentary spikes go through that are not a real problem for the amp.

I don't think it's a mistake to replace a fuse when it blows once, just be sure to replace it with the correct slo-blow fuse.  If you replace it with a slo-blow and it pops again, then it is usually tech time.

Dan
Rip Van Dan
Dan Gracia
'82 US-made Fender Jazz Bass with maple neck
5-string Rogue LX405 Pro (Surprisingly good "no-name" bass)
WT500/800 Highwayman (signature model)
D.N.S 410-8, Eden EX112 x2
Line6 G10s wireless
==
spares:
Eden RS400, GK BK250, BPX115 cab, acoustic B410 cab, Sunn Beta 202 (2x12)

Offline Shelbyviper

« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2019, 02:25:02 PM »
Yes I did replace it with a Slow blow fuse and like I said I turned it on and it's just humming pretty loud and I'm getting no sound I went through the manual to see if I somehow connected something incorrect I changed my quarter inch chords from the instrument and still get the buzz in fact I get the buzz with nothing plugged into it in the volume turned all the way down let me rephrase not a buzz awawa steady