Author Topic: 4 ohm v 8 ohm 410XLT  (Read 778 times)

Offline BigRaguSF

4 ohm v 8 ohm 410XLT
« on: August 29, 2018, 01:19:32 AM »
New to the forum.

I've been running an Ampeg B2R into my 410 XLT for a few years and just swapped out the Ampeg for a WT800. I've been reading posts that mention a 410 XLT could be either a 4 ohm or 8 ohm. Is that correct? If so, how do I determine what my cab is? Is it as simple as looking at the back panel?

Any guidance would be much appreciated. Cheers!

Offline Bassmann1968

• Administrator
Re: 4 ohm v 8 ohm 410XLT
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2018, 02:47:18 AM »
Hi and welcome to the Garden!

Yes, there is a 4 and a 8 Ohm version of this cab.
And yes, you find the info on the dish in the back.
When you are not sure you can also measure it with a resistance meter. A 8 Ohm cab should show a 6 Ohm resistance and a 4 Ohm cab a 3 Ohm resistance since you only measure DC resistance and not impedance.
You have a 410XLT and never had a look at the back? :D
Rock on!
Armin

PLEASE LIKE EDEN ON FACEBOOK!!!
No schematics available!!! Don't ask for it.
;)

WTP-Pre,1350,WTX260,WT300/400,WT1000,WTX1000N,NAV,WTDI
D112XLT,D210XST,D410XLT,D810RP,DNS410,DNS112

Offline Rip Van Dan

« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2018, 10:27:53 AM »
Hey BigRaguSF,

Welcome to the Garden!

Dan
Rip Van Dan
Dan Gracia
'82 US-made Fender Jazz Bass with maple neck
5-string Rogue LX405 Pro (Surprisingly good "no-name" bass)
WT500/800 Highwayman (signature model)
D.N.S 410-8, Eden EX112 x2
Line6 G10s wireless
==
spares:
Eden RS400, GK BK250, BPX115 cab, acoustic B410 cab, Sunn Beta 202 (2x12)

Offline BigRaguSF

« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2018, 07:16:23 PM »
Ha! Yes, I have looked at the back. Was posting from home so good to know when I'm at the studio I can pull the cab out and check. All this is geared toward me getting the right configuration with the WT800 I just bought.
I'm thinking about using the Bridged Mono setting, but want to be sensitive to how far I can push the cab on that setting. With the Bridged Mono off and running through one amp, it seems like I have the take the gain and master much higher than I would expect to get volume. Any thoughts as to why that might be? Or is that to be expected depending on whether my cab is 4 or 8 ohm?
I've not been a gear head to date, so pardon my ignorance. Anxious to learn how to get the most out of my Eden rig.

Offline Rip Van Dan

« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2018, 08:44:19 PM »
That's easy.  When you are running bridged, it is combining the power from both power channels into the bridged output.  You're getting twice as much power. from it. If you are running only  the right or only left channel you are only running one power channel - half as much available power as bridged. 

If you have an 8 ohm cab and are running from just one side you will be getting 300-watts rms out of that one channel.   If you are running an 8 ohm cab through the bridged output with bridge mode engaged, you are running 800 to 880-watts rms into that same cab (depending upon which model of WT800 you have).

If you are running a 4 ohm cab out of one channel, you'll get the 400 watts out of one side.  If you are running a 4 ohm cab (or two 8 ohm cabs daisy chained) in bridge mode out of the bridged output in a WT800B or WT800C, then you will be getting 1100-watts out of it.  Be aware that the WT800A had b, c, and d versions before the actual model change.  If the logo on your WT800 lights up when you turn on your amp, you have the WT800C that will safely handle a 4 ohm load bridged.

You should not be changing your gain setting when you change between dual mono mode (on cab in each side) or bridged mode.  You man need to change it if you change basses, but not when changing the power selection.  If you don't have a copy of the manual that tells you how to set the gain up, PM your e-mail address and I'll e-mail one to you.

Basically you want the Gain-Set light to be flashing on and off a LOT when you are playing your loudest, lowest notes.   This gives the power section the hottest clean signal to amplify.  Turn the gain to high and you'll get a lot of noise in the signal...not good!  Turn it too low and you will have to turn the master up higher than you should because you are feeding it a weak signal.

Dan
Rip Van Dan
Dan Gracia
'82 US-made Fender Jazz Bass with maple neck
5-string Rogue LX405 Pro (Surprisingly good "no-name" bass)
WT500/800 Highwayman (signature model)
D.N.S 410-8, Eden EX112 x2
Line6 G10s wireless
==
spares:
Eden RS400, GK BK250, BPX115 cab, acoustic B410 cab, Sunn Beta 202 (2x12)

Offline BigRaguSF

« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2018, 01:08:42 AM »
Hey Dan,
This is super helpful. Finally getting back to the studio tomorrow night, so I'll be able to put your guidance into action. The info regarding gain control makes perfect sense.

Unfortunately, I think I may have a faulty Bridged Mono button, but I'll confirm that tomorrow night. I know for sure that I have a WT800C.

I have a manual, but seems pretty high-level. I'll PM you for what may be a more detailed one.

Cheers,
Rick