Author Topic: EQing Different Cabs  (Read 749 times)

Offline JackRuckus

EQing Different Cabs
« on: August 21, 2018, 01:25:15 PM »
Hey guys. I've owned a pre-loved D210XLT for a while now to partner a Peavey 1x15 cab my drummer loaned me and was using an Ashdown rootmaster head. Well there were crazy sale prices on Eden kit on gear4music.com so I just went for it and brought a new D115XLT to replace the Peavey and by goodness was it worth it! I guess the 2 cabs are tuned the same - they give such a well-rounded sound together. I also then took it further and brought a WTP900 head which I haven't really tried out in anger yet (only through headphones). I am however intrigued by the possibilities a dual power amp opens up - I've been thinking of running a dual channel EQ in the stereo loop so that I can EQ the cabs independently to get the best out of the different sized drivers. Has anyone else tried this? If so, any tips?

Offline Rip Van Dan

Re: EQing Different Cabs
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2018, 11:26:33 AM »
Hi Jack,
Welcome to the Garden!

With those two cabs using any of the Eden dual power-block amps (WT500, WT600, WT800, and WTP900) I recommend that you plug one cab into each side (we call this dual-mono mode) and then use the balance knob on the front of the amp to adjust the mix of sound you get out of it.  If you want a little more of the 210 sound, turn the balance slightly towards the 210.  If you want more of the 115 sound turn the balance slightly (what would be 2 to 3 clicks) towards the 115.  You can't make that adjustment if they are both plugged into the same channel.

Your cabs are both D-series XLT cabs so they both have the built in mid hump, which is what sounds so good.  When gigging, you can basically dial in the room and then run everything pretty much flat making just some slight adjustments to your taste.  My cab doesn't have that mid-hump, so I have to dial a bit of boost in at ~250Hz to get that same sound. 

Avoid using the Enhance button or use it very judiciously when playing with a group.  It boosts the bass and treble and cuts the mids.  Sounds good at low volumes like bedroom practice, but just loses you in the mix at gig volumes.  Those low mids are what gives your bass definition and presence in the mix and your XLT cabs have been tuned to give those low-mids a little boost.

Rock On!
  Dan
Rip Van Dan
Dan Gracia
'82 US-made Fender Jazz Bass with maple neck
5-string Rogue LX405 Pro (Surprisingly good "no-name" bass)
WT500/800 Highwayman (signature model)
D.N.S 410-8, Eden EX112 x2
Line6 G10s wireless
==
spares:
Eden RS400, GK BK250, BPX115 cab, acoustic B410 cab, Sunn Beta 202 (2x12)

Offline Bassmann1968

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2018, 03:25:07 PM »
Hi Jack and welcome to the Garden!

+1 to what Dan said.
I just have to add that you find the balance on the back panel of the WTP series amps.
Rock on!
Armin

PLEASE LIKE EDEN ON FACEBOOK!!!
No schematics available!!! Don't ask for it.
;)

WTP-Pre,1350,WTX260,WT300/400,WT1000,WTX1000N,NAV,WTDI
D112XLT,D210XST,D410XLT,D810RP,DNS410,DNS112

Offline JackRuckus

« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2018, 10:02:38 AM »
Thanks Dan and Armin.

I was aware of the balance option but was wondering if using an EQ in the stereo send-return loop to send a wee more bass frequencies to the D115XLT and a wee more treble frequencies to the D210XLT might bring out their respective strengths a bit more. Basically having a slight diagonal across the graphic equaliser in opposing directions (which would give equivalent to a flat EQ combined).
There is also a crossover function so I could send all low frequencies to the 115 and all high frequencies to the 210 but I'm not really so keen on this option.

So many routing options with this amp head!

Offline TobiasMan

« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2018, 11:25:03 AM »
Yes, you could bi-amp and use the crossover, but that would waste the bass signal power on the high side.  Less volume all the way around.

I can't remember if the send/return loops are patched back into only one channel or not.  If not, that would not be satisfactory as the re-EQ'd signal would go to both channels.

I think the Stereo Post Tone effects route might be a solution.

Offline Bassmann1968

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2018, 01:11:22 PM »
Hi,
well, of course you can EQ them and it might be a nice thing for practice alone and recording, but I am not sure about the (big) benefits in a band setup.
Make sure to use HQ stuff so you don’t add more noise to the signal path.
Rock on!
Armin

PLEASE LIKE EDEN ON FACEBOOK!!!
No schematics available!!! Don't ask for it.
;)

WTP-Pre,1350,WTX260,WT300/400,WT1000,WTX1000N,NAV,WTDI
D112XLT,D210XST,D410XLT,D810RP,DNS410,DNS112