Author Topic: Re: Noise in both my older Eden amps  (Read 307 times)

Offline metolius

Re: Noise in both my older Eden amps
« on: May 11, 2018, 04:20:43 PM »
Hey peoples,

Last August I asked if anyone had experienced the problem I was having; a 'chirping' noise that occurred after my older Edens warmed up.  I have a 1997 Metro and a '98 WT400, both of which I've had since they were new.  Both amps were doing it.  My tech buddy, himself an Eden user, about went crazy trying to figure it out.  I joined this forum specifically to find out if anyone else had experienced this.  No one had but I got several suggestions to try, none of which were ultimately helpful.

Finally, it looks like a solution has been found.  My tech  spoke with someone, I dont know whom, who suggested that the pots, over many years' time, can start to crap out.  So we replaced a lot of them in both amps.  After a couple of gigs using the Metro it happened again.  In messing with the amp on the spot (with my ears steaming) I narrowed it down to the master volume pot.  We replaced it and one other that he hadn't switched out, and I haven't had an issue with it since.  I recently started playing with Curtis Salgado, the soul/blues singer, whose combo plays at a pretty high volume.  The Metro is really being put to the test and so far is performing perfectly. 

So, many thanks to those who offered suggestions.  I hope that none of you do go through this, but if so...try new potentiometers. 

Best,
Denny

Offline Bassmann1968

• Administrator
Re: Re: Noise in both my older Eden amps
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2018, 05:37:01 PM »
Hi Denny,
thanks for your feedback!
We usually suggest cleaning of all jacks, because that does the trick ever so often. Next would be cleaning of pots.
But it is hard to diagnose an amp without having it in front of yourself.
Pots are usually noisy when turned before they go bad.
Also a broken pot gives you a high pitched noise usually, not a chirping one.
Anyway,  I’m glad your Edens are working again the way they should.
Rock on!
Armin

PLEASE LIKE EDEN ON FACEBOOK!!!
No schematics available!!! Don't ask for it.
;)

WTP-Pre,1350,WTX260,WT300/400,WT1000,WTX1000N,NAV,WTDI
D112XLT,D210XST,D410XLT,D810RP,DNS410,DNS112

Offline 63p-bass

• The blues is alright
Re: Noise in both my older Eden amps
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2018, 06:02:02 PM »
Hey Denny,
Congrats on scoring the gig with Curtis Salgado. He's a fine player.
Glad you found your problem too.
Jim

WT-405, WT550,
TN 226, Aguilar TH500
D112XST8, D112XLT8
EVM 15 in custom Theil cabs (x2)

'17 Fender Am Pro Jazz
'85 Fender Japan Jazz '75 Reissue
'06 Fender Am FSR Precision