Author Topic: Would an 8" speaker be kinda pushing it?  (Read 694 times)

Offline bushy

Would an 8" speaker be kinda pushing it?
« on: March 27, 2018, 06:19:42 PM »
Say a 2x8 from trace Elliot ELF series. I like it's portability but I may try it first at guitar center.

Regarding speaker sizes; would what applies to bass cabs apply to guitar cabs as well or are guitar cabs better off with different specs? If bass sounds good coming out of 2x10 or 4x10 would the same apply to guitar cabs?

Offline Paulinderwick

• Jimmy C and the Bluesdragons
Re: Would an 8" speaker be kinda pushing it?
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2018, 04:16:16 AM »
If a speaker can handle the power thrown at it and the stresses that reproducing bass notes places on it (think a string vibrating - high notes there is very little difference because the wave form is very small - the lower the note the bigger the wave and so the further the speaker cone will have to travel backwards and forwards to create this waveform) then it should be OK - the Phil Jones bass speakers are renowned for using very small speakers in arrays.  I do wonder about the 8" speaker though.  Many years ago a friend had a UK combo produced by a small company called Alligator with 8" speakers and it seemed very loud but - in a venue bigger than a bar it really needed a separate 15" speaker to start to cut through.  You have to remember that volume comes from the surface area of your speakers, the bigger the surface area the louder it will seem, 2 x 8" is 100 sq inches, 2 x 10" is 156 sq inches and 2 x 12" is 226 sq inches. The area is also affected by the depth of the cone but as that varies from brand to brand I reckon the surface area of the circle is a good approximation.  The ELF speakers also seem very pricey for what they are.  Do give them a try if you can because at the end of the day it's what it sounds like to you that is the real test.  And if you do give them a try come back here and tell us what they're like!
UK member, WT330, WTX260, 2 x EX112 (both 4 ohm), WTDI, and a Microtour as well as a Roland Super Cube Bass, Blackstar HT5, Fender Jazz '67, Fretless Fender Jazz '70, Burns Barracuda, Epiphone EB-0, Ashbory, Stagg EUB and guitars and ukuleles and a mandolin as well