Author Topic: String Length... makes a difference?  (Read 363 times)

Offline Paulinderwick

• Jimmy C and the Bluesdragons
String Length... makes a difference?
« on: January 16, 2018, 12:50:44 PM »
These days I mostly play on gigs an Epiphone EB0 short scale bass and it seems that the best string choice for me is medium length rather than short because of the style of the headstock.  However medium length are not always available so I have a question - does it make a significant difference if I use a long string but cut it shorter?  Obviously I won't get a string wrap but I can live with that (in fact I think it looks better!).  I have done it once in desperation (string broke and didn't, stupidly, have a spare set) and it didn't seem to make a difference.  The string guages were listed as the same but does it make a difference that I can't detect?
UK member, WT330, WTX260, 2 x EX112 (both 4 ohm), WTDI, and a Microtour as well as a Roland Super Cube Bass, Blackstar HT5, Fender Jazz '67, Fretless Fender Jazz '70, Burns Barracuda, Epiphone EB-0, Ashbory, Stagg EUB and guitars and ukuleles and a mandolin as well

Offline Bassmann1968

• Administrator
Re: String Length... makes a difference?
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2018, 01:32:32 PM »
Hi Paul,
only problem I could think of would be the bigger diameter of the longer string at the nut. If the string fits there I think you are golden.
Rock on!
Armin

PLEASE LIKE EDEN ON FACEBOOK!!!
No schematics available!!! Don't ask for it.
;)

WTP-Pre,1350,WTX260,WT300/400,WT1000,WTX1000N,NAV,WTDI
D112XLT,D210XST,D410XLT,D810RP,DNS410,DNS112

Offline Paulinderwick

« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2018, 05:40:13 PM »
I assumed that was the case but thought it would be good to get more expert advice - cheers...
UK member, WT330, WTX260, 2 x EX112 (both 4 ohm), WTDI, and a Microtour as well as a Roland Super Cube Bass, Blackstar HT5, Fender Jazz '67, Fretless Fender Jazz '70, Burns Barracuda, Epiphone EB-0, Ashbory, Stagg EUB and guitars and ukuleles and a mandolin as well

Offline dbsfgyd1

« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2018, 10:26:24 PM »
These days I mostly play on gigs an Epiphone EB0 short scale bass and it seems that the best string choice for me is medium length rather than short because of the style of the headstock.  However medium length are not always available so I have a question - does it make a significant difference if I use a long string but cut it shorter?  Obviously I won't get a string wrap but I can live with that (in fact I think it looks better!).  I have done it once in desperation (string broke and didn't, stupidly, have a spare set) and it didn't seem to make a difference.  The string guages were listed as the same but does it make a difference that I can't
detect?

Be careful when cutting strings, as they can unwind under tension, and or drift tuning wise. If you are using flat wound strings, make sure you crimp the string before cutting to prevent in winding.

WTDI, WP-100 Navigator, WT-1250, WT 800, D-210-XLT, D-210-XST, Nemesis RS 320-15, Nemesis RS-320-210, Fender USA P-Bass Deluxe, Warwick Corvette 5 string.

Offline Paulinderwick

« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2018, 06:05:35 AM »
Thanks for the tip - I normally bend through 90 degrees before clipping to attach to machine heads with a central hole for the string end - hopefully this is sufficient.

Offline TobiasMan

« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2018, 11:54:37 AM »
I do the same, Paul.

Never had a string unravel.

Offline Paulinderwick

« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2018, 03:28:37 PM »
Thanks all - much reassured...