Author Topic: WT330 v WTX260 - PA heaven...!  (Read 132 times)

Offline Paulinderwick

• Jimmy C and the Bluesdragons
WT330 v WTX260 - PA heaven...!
« on: July 10, 2017, 06:13:12 AM »
Asked to provide soundtrack for a friend's party on Saturday - I usually borrow the band's small PA but it was all being used - and I wasn't playing because I was going to the party.  Solution?  Use the amp with my mixer and cabinets - but then I would have to use the WT330 and couldn't adjust the relative volume between the cab providing the sound in the garden and the other providing the sound inside the house.  OK so I decided to use them both.  The sound is running from my laptop into the mixer and then from the mixer into the two amplifiers mounted on top of the EX112 inside the house and an extension speaker cable takes the sound from the WTX260 to the cabinet in the garden.  Fascinating - being able to have a play before the party started I could A/B the results (albeit without a bass plugged in).  I have used the WTX260 and one of the EX112s as a sort of PA before when the rest of the band was late at a gig and needed some cover, but this was the first time I tried the same with the WT330.  So set the gain for both, flat EQ, Enhance etc off - the sound from the WTX260 was brighter than the WT330, the WT330 was fuller - pretty much what I expected from playing them individually.  Each sounded great though and lots of guests complemented me and the host on the sound.  When Eden says it is a full-range sound it really is...
UK member, WT330, WTX260, 2 x EX112 (both 4 ohm), WTDI, and a Microtour as well as a Roland Super Cube Bass, Blackstar HT5, Fender Jazz '67, Fretless Fender Jazz '70, Burns Barracuda, Epiphone EB-0, Ashbory, Stagg EUB and guitars and ukuleles and a mandolin as well

Offline Rip Van Dan

Re: WT330 v WTX260 - PA heaven...!
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2017, 11:32:19 AM »
Very cool Paul!

If you wanted the fullness of your WT330 coming out of the other speaker, another option for you would be to slave the WTX264 to the WT330.  One of the cool things you can do with your WT330 is to run an instrument cable from the headphones jack out to the effects-return of the WTX264.  That will bypass the preamp of the 264 and just use the power section to amplify the signal it gets from the WT330.

Now the really cool thing about setting it up this way is you just have to set the master volume of the WTX264 one time.  Then every change you make with the EQ AND the master volume on your WT330 will carry through to the WTX264.  So, set the balance of sound between them once and then turn down the WT330 and the WTX264 turns down too...or up...or makes an EQ changes.  This works really well and the headphones out jack puts out a hotter signal than effects-out does.

One word of caution however, the WTX264 will NOT do this out of the headphone jack.  If you try to hook it up that way it will go into protect mode.    If you want to slave from your WTX264 you have to run an instrument cable out of the effects-out of the WTX264 into the effects-in of the slave amp, which is how most amps do the slaving bit.  Disadvantage of doing it that way is that you have to keep adjusting volume independently on both amps.

Give that headphone out of the WT330 a try next time you need to run another amp/speaker.  That way you only have to run one signal out of your laptop to your WT330.

Dan
« Last Edit: July 10, 2017, 11:34:58 AM by Rip Van Dan »
Rip Van Dan
Dan Gracia
'78 US-made Fender Jazz Bass with maple neck
5-string Rogue LX405 Pro (Surprisingly good "no-name" bass)
WT500/800 Highwayman (signature model)
D.N.S 410-8
Line6 X2-XDS wireless
=========
spares:
Eden RS400, GK BK250, GK 115 cab, acoustic B410 cab, Sunn Beta 202 (2x12)

Offline Paulinderwick

• Jimmy C and the Bluesdragons
Re: WT330 v WTX260 - PA heaven...!
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2017, 03:34:55 AM »
Thanks Dan - the whole point was so that the speaker indoors and the speaker outdoors were both completely independently controllable so using one to slave the other was not an issue in this application, normally when I'm using both cabinets for bass playing I'd only use the WT330 and that seems plenty for most situations anyway.  I didn't want anyone at the party to adjust the amps so made sure everything was controlled from the mixer and when I wasn't there left instructions with the host to only adjust the mixer volume - inside out of the left master channel and outside from the right - worked well!  A very useful reminder about slaving which I had forgotten though!
UK member, WT330, WTX260, 2 x EX112 (both 4 ohm), WTDI, and a Microtour as well as a Roland Super Cube Bass, Blackstar HT5, Fender Jazz '67, Fretless Fender Jazz '70, Burns Barracuda, Epiphone EB-0, Ashbory, Stagg EUB and guitars and ukuleles and a mandolin as well