Author Topic: Follow up on WT-405  (Read 348 times)

Offline 63p-bass

• The blues is alright
Follow up on WT-405
« on: April 18, 2017, 07:53:37 AM »
After playing my (new to me) WT-405 for a few weeks I find I really like this amp. Since it has fewer knobs it's easy to find a tone I like.
With my new Lakland, or my Jazz Bass the tone is nice and warm, but with the right amount of treble zing on top of the warmth. A slight adjustment of the mids is all I need when I switch basses, and that makes me happy.

As you can see in the photos, I am at the limit on volume and the EQ is where I ran it that day. The tone was great, but I wanted more headroom.
Am I boosting the bass too much?

I have also been wondering if Eden ever made another amp with the simplicity of this one, but with more power. Any suggestions?

Jim

WT-405, WT550,
Terra Nova 226
D112XST8, D112XLT8
EVM 15 in custom Theil cabs (x2)

Lakland Darryl Jones 5
Fender Japan 75 RI Jazz

Offline Paulinderwick

• Jimmy C and the Bluesdragons
Re: Follow up on WT-405
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2017, 08:21:36 AM »
It's difficult to see what you are running with here - I have mine (WT330 but essentially the same amp before beefing up) set with the Warmth and the gain microswitches engaged for a bit of dirt and compensating for low output passes.  Then set the gain according to the manual - do you get that light dancing?  Enhance never beyond 9 o'clock but about 9 is OK.  Bass, midrange and treble all at 12 o'clock - you mid-range looks a bit low because that is what usually thumps through the mix - and the treble boost can help that too.  I think the WT330/39/405 series is one of the best amps Eden ever produced, but it never went beyond the 405 iteration.  I really don't like the unadjustable compression on the WT550 - there are moments when I want a monstrous sound and I just can't get it, but with the WT330 it is there...
UK member, WT330, WTX260, 2 x EX112 (both 4 ohm), WTDI, and a Microtour as well as a Roland Super Cube Bass, Blackstar HT5, Fender Jazz '67, Fretless Fender Jazz '70, Burns Barracuda, Epiphone EB-0, Ashbory, Stagg EUB and guitars and ukuleles and a mandolin as well

Online Bob Cruz

« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2017, 11:02:22 AM »
You may need to hit the input gain a little harder as Paul suggests.  It's been a while since I owned a WT405; I think the input is padded by default and the gain button eliminates the padding, but in any case use it or more gain on the dial if you're not getting the level light blinking on the input.  The warmth button adds a little hair (and is adjustable using a tiny screwdriver through the opening on the faceplate).  That can help you get heard in the mix even if it isn't the tone you're looking for when you play alone.  Good luck, Bob
Bob Cruz

WTX260 - GB Streamliner 900 - Mesa WalkAbout - Peavey USA Cirrus 5 - SX Jazz 5 x2 - BC Rich Mockingbird 5 - Cruz 112 x2 (22 pound flyweight cabs I built) - Kustom 115 D140F - Avatar Neo 112 x 2 - Fender Rumble 40

Offline 63p-bass

• The blues is alright
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2017, 10:49:10 PM »
Thanks for responding Paul and Bob.
Sorry for the low res pic fellas. I took it with my iphone and the lightiing was dim.
Yes, I agree the gain could go up a bit. I have never seen the gain light come on. so the bulb must be burned out. For now I've been setting it where the WT550 would start clipping, about 2 o'clock so I don't hurt it. I don't want to release the magic smoke, ya know.  ;)

I'm anxious to try out your suggestions at the next practice. I could probably turn up the gain a bit without worrying. I haven't run the 550 very high either.
I'll try the gain and warmth pads too. I have used the warm pad at home with headphones, but not with the band. It has been fun getting to know the 405.

Is there a way to use the power section of the 550 and preamp of the 405?

Jim

WT-405, WT550,
Terra Nova 226
D112XST8, D112XLT8

Lakland Darryl Jones 5
Fender Japan 75 RI Jazz

Offline Paulinderwick

• Jimmy C and the Bluesdragons
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2017, 02:13:00 AM »
You'll find a big difference by pressing the microswitch for the gain - then turn the master volume down low with the EQ at 12 and the enhance at no more than 9.  Then as you turn up the gain you should start to see the gain light come on and 'dance' when you are sending your own hottest signal, really dig in, and that's what you're looking for, with the gain microswitch off you were losing 12 db of signal and unless you have a really hot active bass you just don't need to lose that much signal.  Once you have that 'dance' and you may well need a gain setting at about 2 or 3, then you can bring up the master volume and adjust the EQ.  Compression is a matter of taste, enhance likewise but avoid using a high setting unless you are playing at home because on the older Eden amps that was like the loudness button on a home hifi - useful at low volume, useless at high in a band situation.  The process for enhance in the TN226 (I have never used on so go on Armin's comments) is that enhance now really does enhance the signal and can be used at all volume settings.
UK member, WT330, WTX260, 2 x EX112 (both 4 ohm), WTDI, and a Microtour as well as a Roland Super Cube Bass, Blackstar HT5, Fender Jazz '67, Fretless Fender Jazz '70, Burns Barracuda, Epiphone EB-0, Ashbory, Stagg EUB and guitars and ukuleles and a mandolin as well

Offline 63p-bass

• The blues is alright
« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2017, 06:52:02 AM »
Last night I was very tired while posting, and almost didn't make it through my post without falling asleep.
I think I'm getting it now Paul. The gain light isn't coming on because the gain is padded until I engage the micro switch.

*And by letting the gain 'dance', does that mean setting it so it flashes intermittently, or so it flashes frequently?*
Maybe I'm wrong, but I had thought it was not good to let the gain flash all the time, and definitely not let it stay on constantly.
I have followed the basic setup guide for all my Eden amps, but maybe I need to set the initial gain higher.

The info this forum provides is invaluable, and thanks to all of you. Thanks also Paul, for the tip about the Enhance on the TN226. That's good to know. I don't use Enhance except at home, practicing with headphones, but I'll check that out on the 226.

Thanks guys! Gotta hear out to work now. See ya!
Jim

WT-405, WT550,
Terra Nova 226
D112XST8, D112XLT8

Lakland Darryl Jones 5
Fender Japan 75 RI Jazz

Online Bob Cruz

« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2017, 11:06:10 AM »
You can't hurt the amp by overdriving the preamp--it just sounds bad when the preamp distorts.  Turn up the gain until you see the light flash on slaps, pops or when you really dig in hard on a low string.  It will be a revelation!

To use the preamp of the 405 through the 550's power section, run an instrument cable from the 405's effects send to the 550's effects return.  Voila.

Bob
Bob Cruz

WTX260 - GB Streamliner 900 - Mesa WalkAbout - Peavey USA Cirrus 5 - SX Jazz 5 x2 - BC Rich Mockingbird 5 - Cruz 112 x2 (22 pound flyweight cabs I built) - Kustom 115 D140F - Avatar Neo 112 x 2 - Fender Rumble 40

Offline Rip Van Dan

« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2017, 12:55:42 PM »
I had to use my RS400 for rehearsal yesterday and it worked well but that "set gain" light didn't even come on with my passive Jazz bass at the setting I use for my WT500/800.  I had to turn it past 3 o'clock to get that light to come on and start dancing.  On the RS400 there's a real sweet spot when you get that setting right and the light will flash on just about all of your loud notes and a lot of your lowest notes - that's how it's supposed to work.

It's absolutely fine to have that light flashing all the time.  But you don't want it to come on and stay on because then you are sending a distorted signal to the amp unless you have the compressor engaged.  If you have the compressor engaged, then the compressor will come on everytime that light flashes.  As Bob mentioned you're not going to hurt the amp by seeing that light come on and stay on, it will just sound like crap.  With that light dancing to your playing, you are sending the strongest signal with the best signal-to-noise ratio to the power section to be amplified.

If it doesn't come on then you are not sending the clearest and strongest signal so your signal to noise ratio will suffer with more noise being amplified than it would with a stronger signal.  So play with it a little bit.  You will usually hear when you've reached the sweet spot with the gain.

Dan
Rip Van Dan
Dan Gracia
'78 US-made Fender Jazz Bass with maple neck
5-string Rogue LX405 Pro (Surprisingly good "no-name" bass)
WT500/800 Highwayman (signature model)
D.N.S 410-8
Line6 X2-XDS wireless
=========
spares:
Eden RS400, GK BK250, GK 115 cab, acoustic B410 cab, Sunn Beta 202 (2x12)

Offline 63p-bass

• The blues is alright
« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2017, 06:58:59 PM »
Very good, and much thanks guys!
A singer friend told me years ago that he liked keeping the gain on his PA lower, to where it only flashed once in a while. That's where I got that idea from. Oh well, live and learn.
I will crank the gain until I find the sweet spot. 

Dan helped me a few months ago with setting my 550, and all these tips will be helpful too. It's nice to dwell in The Garden!   8)

Jim

WT-405, WT550,
Terra Nova 226
D112XST8, D112XLT8

Lakland Darryl Jones 5
Fender Japan 75 RI Jazz

Offline Rip Van Dan

« Reply #9 on: April 22, 2017, 04:55:50 PM »
and  we're glad to have you here!

Dan
Rip Van Dan
Dan Gracia
'78 US-made Fender Jazz Bass with maple neck
5-string Rogue LX405 Pro (Surprisingly good "no-name" bass)
WT500/800 Highwayman (signature model)
D.N.S 410-8
Line6 X2-XDS wireless
=========
spares:
Eden RS400, GK BK250, GK 115 cab, acoustic B410 cab, Sunn Beta 202 (2x12)

Offline 63p-bass

• The blues is alright
« Reply #10 on: April 29, 2017, 09:39:47 AM »
And I'm very glad to be here. The info you guys gladly provide is like having a gold mine.  :) 8)
Jim

WT-405, WT550,
Terra Nova 226
D112XST8, D112XLT8

Lakland Darryl Jones 5
Fender Japan 75 RI Jazz