Author Topic: More volume/gain on the new WTP line  (Read 2876 times)

Offline sleevey

More volume/gain on the new WTP line
« on: March 12, 2017, 05:32:59 PM »
These amps sound great but they lack gain, they are abnormally low output for some reason. Using the active input on the WTP pre is absurd, it puts a pad on an already weak circuit. Compared to any other Amp or pre and these are just needing improvement, a guy has to have a big power amplifier to get decent volume out of it. Other than that, they are great.

Offline Bob Cruz

Re: More volume/gain on the new WTP line
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2017, 07:04:26 PM »
Sleevey, are you sure there's less gain if you crank the gain all the way up?  What I've read is that the newer products (and some other manufacturers are doing this too) use a linear taper on the gain pot to allow finer adjustment, instead of the older style logarithmic taper where almost all of the gain was in the first half turn or less, making it difficult to dial in especially at lower volumes.  I haven't tried any of these newer amps but that's what I've been reading.  If all the same gain is there, but it's spread across the entire rotation of the pot, then that would be an improvement.  You'd only know if you tried cranking the gain and comparing to an older model.
Bob Cruz

GB Streamliner 900 and 600 - Peavey USA Cirrus 5 - SX Jazz 5 x2 - BC Rich Mockingbird 5 - Cruz 112 x2 (22 pound flyweight cabs I built) - Kustom 115 D140F - Avatar Neo 112 x 2 - Modded Fender Rumble 40 x2

Offline sleevey

« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2017, 07:36:08 PM »
I've tried the WTP-600 which I did return, and the WTP-Pre which I am keeping. I understand what you are saying, but the issue with turning either the gain or the volume up too far is the you run into very audible hiss....bad hiss. I play all active basses and the active input pads it so much it's useless imo. I play through the passive to get the gains I need and still don't clip the pre or eq, that says something. I like a quiet rig and could not stand to listen to it hissing at a gig or here at home. I have the gain pointed at the clip light, the balance on back of the Amp all the way to the left as that's the output I'm using and the volume it at 9-11 depending on how loud I want to be, it works fine really just needs either more gain or less -pad on the active circuit. The Amp sounds killer through the WT-1250 I'm powering it with. I have an Eden 610XLT and also a 410XST 4ohm cab that this combination sings through.....not together btw but individually.

Offline sleevey

« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2017, 07:39:28 PM »
You also cannot put much more gain than I have as if you go past the eq light....you will clip the pre and also clip the eq, combine that with that annoying hiss and I believe it's as far clockwise as one goes without issues, both of which are unwanted.the WTP-600 I tried was great but the same, weak output.

Offline Bassmann1968

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2017, 08:18:30 PM »
Hi sleevey,
which voltage has your unit and your outlets?
I run mine in Europe with 230V and I have no issues.
Rock on!
Armin

PLEASE LIKE EDEN ON FACEBOOK!!!
No schematics available!!! Don't ask for it.
;)

WTP-Pre,1350,WTX260,WT300/400,WT1000,WTX1000N,NAV,WTDI
D112XLT,D210XST,D410XLT,D810RP,DNS410,DNS112

Offline sleevey

« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2017, 08:46:20 PM »
120 volt head and outlets...

Offline sleevey

« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2017, 09:35:45 PM »
I wonder if it's a tube thing? I have tons of NOS RCA black plates and Amperex 12ax7 tubes....I'm keeping the Amp so I might try swapping out the gain stage tube and see what happens. Be back with report.

Offline Paulinderwick

• Jimmy C and the Bluesdragons
« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2017, 03:04:33 AM »
When I had active basses (a Fender Precision Lyte and then a Squier fitted with a Sadowsky on-board pre-amp) I always had to use the passive input (and I went to a lot of jams, playing through a lot of different amps) - never got adequate gain from an active input or using a pad to reduce the input.  Be interested to see how the newer amps compare with my trusty warriors...
UK member, WT330, WTX260, 2 x EX112 (both 4 ohm), WTDI, and a Microtour as well as a Roland Super Cube Bass, Blackstar HT5, Fender Jazz '67, Fretless Fender Jazz '70, Burns Barracuda, Epiphone EB-0, Ashbory, Stagg EUB and guitars and ukuleles and a mandolin as well

Offline Bob Cruz

« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2017, 11:03:25 AM »
I wonder if it's a tube thing? I have tons of NOS RCA black plates and Amperex 12ax7 tubes....I'm keeping the Amp so I might try swapping out the gain stage tube and see what happens. Be back with report.
It could definitely be a tube, since noise is a symptom of one that's going downhill.
Bob Cruz

GB Streamliner 900 and 600 - Peavey USA Cirrus 5 - SX Jazz 5 x2 - BC Rich Mockingbird 5 - Cruz 112 x2 (22 pound flyweight cabs I built) - Kustom 115 D140F - Avatar Neo 112 x 2 - Modded Fender Rumble 40 x2

Offline sleevey

« Reply #9 on: March 13, 2017, 12:41:12 PM »
So, unsure of which 12ax7 i should change, I just did both with tested as new NOS RCA 12ax7a long black plates. I powered the pre back on and one thing that jumped out right away was there was considerably less hiss at the same volumes as the stock Ruby tubes. Volume wise I gained a hair but nothing really to note, but I can now turn the gain up more and I get less hiss so its a solid improvement. After playing for an hour or so, I also like its tone better yet with these NOS tubes, its more articulate......I hear more of the little nuances like my fingers sliding on the strings ect. I dig this amp much more now, hopefully its a reliable pre, it looks so different inside than the Navigator, but times have changed and along with it comes more PCB boards, resistors and the like. Theres really not much to it once you open it up, the main PCB board that has the tubes on it looks like its out of a calculator or something, but hey, it works and Im no electrical engineer. Im happy so far with my new head and glad I tried different tubes.