Author Topic: Lakland basses  (Read 2015 times)

Offline 63p-bass

• The blues is alright
Lakland basses
« on: March 10, 2017, 01:22:06 AM »
I have an opportunity to trade for a new Lakland Skyline Darryl Jones model DJ-5. I played a 4 string 55 Series Skyline in the store through a Tone Hammer 350 head and Aguilar 410 cabinet and it sounded good.

I know their American models are at least twice as high, and these are assembled overseas and go through an extensive setup here, but I'm leery of spending that much for a bass made in Indonesia.

Does anyone have experience with the Skyline model?
Thoughts??

Here's a link to a similar one on eBay.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Lakland-Skyline-Darryl-Jones-DJ-5-/282377079410?hash=item41befc4a72:g:zgcAAOSwuxFYtHFd
Jim

WT-405, WT550,
TN 226, Aguilar TH500
D112XST8, D112XLT8
EVM 15 in custom Theil cabs (x2)

'85 Fender Japan Jazz '75 Reissue
'06 Fender Am FSR Precision

Offline Bass Mayhem

• http://www.myspace.com/rogerthebassmayhem
Re: Lakland basses
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2017, 12:44:56 PM »
You won't find US made 5 string DJ basses; they just make 4 string. Get it! It is a really good bass and not just a bang for the buck...
Roger - the Bass Mayhem

Dingwall, Fender, Kremona, Lakland, NS and Tom Clement basses
Eden, Bose, Genz Benz, Genzler and TKS amps & cabs
Avalon, Boss, EBS, Eventide, RMI, Suncoast, Voodoo Lab & Vovox

Offline 63p-bass

• The blues is alright
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2017, 01:46:56 PM »
Thanks for the response Roger. You have put my doubts to rest.
My first thought was that it's a good bass, and I like that it has a 35" scale neck. That's good in a fiver.
A local store is having it shipped in from a sister store across the state and it should be here Tuesday for me to try out.  8)
Jim

WT-405, WT550,
TN 226, Aguilar TH500
D112XST8, D112XLT8

Offline Bass Mayhem

« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2017, 03:44:31 PM »
I used to have a sh*tload of Laklands, but my all time favourite was - and still is - my fretless Korean built Skyline 55-02. The only US Lakie I still own is my PJ Bob Glaub, but that bass is MAGIC. I kinda fell in love with a Canadian brand...

- Dingwall Voodoo Prima 6 (2001)
- Lakland US Bob Glaub PJ
- Lakland Skyline 55-02
- Dingwall Super-P
- Dingwall Leland Sklar Signature
Roger - the Bass Mayhem

Offline 63p-bass

• The blues is alright
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2017, 05:16:50 PM »
That's a nice lookin' bunch of basses there Roger! I like the Dingwalls too.
They're all very nice.
I went to the music store today that is getting in the DJ5 for me, to play the Skyline 4 string P/J they have. Man I really like that one too. Too many basses, not enough time to play them all.
Thanks for your input man! I'm stoked for when they get in the DJ5 next week!
Jim

WT-405, WT550,
TN 226, Aguilar TH500
D112XST8, D112XLT8

Offline Bass Mayhem

« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2017, 11:38:30 AM »
Let's hope it isn't a "Monday sample". (I believe the closest English term is "dud"...) A friend of mine had one of these; it was the only five string bass that ever came near my 70's Jazz Bass in touch, feel and tone. I was sooo near buying it from him.

The only "issue" with passive Lakland basses - US and Asian - is that they buzz like old Fender basses when played with just one pup, or with different volume from each pup. I can accept that on an Asian lower cost bass, but it is the same with the US made basses. I have done serious shielding and grounding on all of them, a very easy thing to do. Use self adhesive copper foil in all cavities and connect to ONE ground point. I even put shielding inside the pickup covers. I put foil at the bottom of the pickups so it gives grounding contact for the pickup pole pieces. That makes the bass stopp buzzing when you touch the poles. Also it won't crack when/if the string touches the pole pieces. I didn't even have to solder the thing together: just jam the wires between two layers of copper tape. There are a lot of good video clips on YouTube in this topic. One thing that noone think about is that it is of gratest importance to shield the circuit from "the bottom of the bass", since your own body is a big antenna taking in a lot of interference. Some people don't mind some buzz, but I am really disturbed by it. Play the bass first and decide later how you do...
Roger - the Bass Mayhem

Offline 63p-bass

• The blues is alright
« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2017, 01:40:23 PM »
I'll check that out when it comes in. The 4 stringer they have is very quiet, and maybe the 5'er will be too. Worst case being I have to shield it. 
Thanks for your knowledge Roger!
Jim

WT-405, WT550,
TN 226, Aguilar TH500
D112XST8, D112XLT8

Offline 63p-bass

• The blues is alright
« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2017, 08:04:24 AM »
I have the DJ5 in my posession, photos coming soon.
It has stainless strings on it which are a bit bright for my tastes but I can always change to nickel if the zing doesn't tame down.

I played this bass three times this week, and on Saturday I took my (new to me) WT-405 to the store and played it through an Aguilar 410 cab. Yes, there's now a WT-405 in the collection. Pics soon.
What a difference it made playing through the new amp, and that clenched the deal for me.

I played it for hours at home last night, and set it up to my liking, putting some relief in the neck and raising a couple saddles. It's really sweet and  easy to play. Thanks Roger, for your input! This one is no Monday Special. The more I play it, the more I like it.
Jim

WT-405, WT550,
TN 226, Aguilar TH500
D112XST8, D112XLT8