Author Topic: Blown Speaker? Weird Fuzz from one speaker  (Read 1756 times)

Offline Kneedragger81

• The tape never lies
Re: Blown Speaker? Weird Fuzz from one speaker
« Reply #15 on: April 29, 2016, 12:55:51 AM »
my hi frequency driver not even connected to circuit!  looks like i got ripped off and need to rebuild my rig and give TLC!!

Offline Rip Van Dan

« Reply #16 on: April 29, 2016, 12:15:42 PM »
There's a diagram that Armin posted around here somewhere showing the correct wiring from the L-pad to the speakers your cab and the horn.  If I recall correctly the horn is actually wired out of phase with the rest of the cab and that's how it's supposed to be .

Dan
Rip Van Dan
Dan Gracia
'78 US-made Fender Jazz Bass with maple neck
5-string Rogue LX405 Pro (Surprisingly good "no-name" bass)
WT500/800 Highwayman (signature model)
D.N.S 410-8
Line6 X2-XDS wireless
=========
spares:
Eden RS400, GK BK250, GK 115 cab, acoustic B410 cab, Sunn Beta 202 (2x12)

Offline Kneedragger81

• The tape never lies
« Reply #17 on: April 29, 2016, 05:03:24 PM »
How much "sound" or detail is the hi freq horn gonna bring?  cabinets sound pretty good to me sans the distortions from problem driver.  But I am a Purist and want my rig 100 percent original and working.  My guitar buddy thinks the horn not being hooked up contributed to the failure of speaker.  I wouldn't think so.  Nonetheless, I'm gonna build it back proper....even do a recone myself because Marshall Music is pissing me off already.  I'm a DIY guy and I don't need pinheads directing me to buy more s**t and new units.

Offline Rip Van Dan

« Reply #18 on: April 30, 2016, 01:43:44 PM »
Having the horn disconnected won't hurt your other speakers at all, so ignore that comment.

Some folks go into the L-pad and pull out the car bulb-type fuse to disconnect it because turning it off all the way can make the L-pad overheat and melt connectors.  So they are disconnecting it by pulling that bulb-fuse.  Lots of folks like the sound better without the horn, but it really is just personal preference.  From discussions here I would say a LOT of folks turn that tweeter control on the L-pad just one notch above off. 

I still would search for that wiring diagram to make sure the rest of the speakers are hooked up correctly, but don't worry about the horn disconnect damaging your speaker.  That's a non-issue.

Dan
Rip Van Dan
Dan Gracia
'78 US-made Fender Jazz Bass with maple neck
5-string Rogue LX405 Pro (Surprisingly good "no-name" bass)
WT500/800 Highwayman (signature model)
D.N.S 410-8
Line6 X2-XDS wireless
=========
spares:
Eden RS400, GK BK250, GK 115 cab, acoustic B410 cab, Sunn Beta 202 (2x12)