Author Topic: Central Virginia Gigs  (Read 2109 times)

Offline UnstoppableBassMonolith

Central Virginia Gigs
« on: November 18, 2004, 04:47:02 PM »
This is a great idea.  I don't know how many of you are in the Central Virginia area, but if anyone is, or is travelling here for the holidays, here are my upcoming gigs:

Tues Nov 23 & Fri Dec 17 - Snug - Orbit Billiards, Charlottesville, VA (Where U.Va is)- Snug is a 70's style 7-piece funk band that is doing 60% originals, 40% covers, all jam.

Sat Nov 27 & Fri Dec 10 - William Walter & Co. (see http://wiliamwalter.net) - The Shebeen Pub and Brai, Charlottesville, VA - Original music, rock with acoustic guitar.  This show will feature Johnny Gilmore on drums, who's main gig is with blues great Corey Harris.  Johnny is a MONSTER on the drums, one of the best around.

New Year's Eve - Alligator - Starr Hill Brewery and Music Hall, Charlottesville, VA.  Alligator is a Grateful Dead cover band specializing in the earlier GD material and the bluesey PigPen stuff.  With two drummers and a keyboardist, I really get to stretch out with the lead guitars in this band.  And no matter what I do I won't be as wild and out there as Phil is!  Alligator has members of many of C'ville's most popular older local bands: Johnny Sportcoat and The Casuals, Skip Castro, and Indecision.

My name is Stuart, in case you forget my strange screen name.  If you happen to stop in, say hello and introduce yourself- a brethren low-ender is always welcome!

'77 Fender Jazz
Stuart Spector Design Czech 4-string
Warwick Streamer Stage I 4-string
MIM Fender Precision
Eden Metro DC-210XLT Combo
Eden D112XLT
Eden WTX-260
Genz Benz GB212T-UB

Offline LaneOnBass

• My Web Site
Central Virginia Gigs
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2004, 06:59:30 PM »
Oh, man! I'm having flashbacks! JC, Skip Castro...I remember both those bands from back in the day. Sounds like you've got a great gig going, Stuart. Even after my impending move, I won't be close enough to come check you out. But when I come back home, I'll be sure to check here for gig postings so we can hook up. Til then...

Keep Thumpin',

Lane

Ask not what bass can do for you...
   Ask what YOU can do for bass.

www.laneonbass.com
Keep Thumpin',

Lane On Bass

Former Eden Spec. Proj. Coord. & Artist Relations

My Web Site | Facebook Page
Twitter

Central Virginia Gigs
« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2004, 05:18:23 PM »
That's killer Lane!  I was on your site and wondered if you had ever heard of any of the Charlottesville Music scene.  Do you still work with Linwood Taylor at all?  I saw him here in C'ville, well, must have been 15-20 years ago or more- played down at the C&O club, which has long since closed.  I think that was before you had met him though, just wondering and brain storming if I haven't seen you perform.  I saw Linwood just in the summer of 1999 in Chicago, of all places, but judging from the picture on your website that also was not you.  And you played with Sutso, who I am not familiar with, but if he comes with the Thackery seal of approval he must be good!  Thackery is still revered in this town.  

So, if you don't mind telling the whole world, where is home, is it DC, MD, or VA?  I grew up in Herndon, VA, up in Fairfax county, so I am most familiar with NoVa.  I think the music scene in NoVa has really improved since I left there in 1982.  A GMU band, Emmet Swimming, kinda made a big splash and got signed, but I have not heard of them since that (which is a bad sign :/).  Do you by any chance remember the Road Ducks (maybe Dixie Road Ducks at 1st, then they shortened their name)?  What about "4 out of 5 Doctors"?  They were pretty obscure, but I remember them because many of my teachers in High School dated guys in that band.  Or NRBQ?  I guess NRBQ is pretty famous, but they still seem more popular around here and DC than in other places.

So definitely stop in if you're ever in the area, that would be great.  And let us here on the forum know when you put out a solo CD, I'd love to own a copy, maybe learn a new lick or two ;)  Can't fault me for that, can you?  I stole, erm, learned, just about every lick I play from someone else!!  My illustrious influences :)
'77 Fender Jazz
MIM Fender Precision
Eden D112XLT
Eden WTX-260
Genz Benz GB212T-UB

Offline LaneOnBass

• My Web Site
Central Virginia Gigs
« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2004, 09:38:20 PM »
Hey, UBM! Small world. I spent much of my youth growing up just south of Alexandria in teh burbs there. Met Linwood in about 84...worked with him  until about 89. Played with Mark Stutso before he got the Thackery gig...and yeah, he's a freight train...totally unstoppable and a groove that goes for days. Emmet Swimming...my band Mongrel did a few shows with them..lost of fun...sorry they didn't have any luck witht heir deal. Was offered the bass lost in the Road Ducks but wasn't willing to like on cheap money while Jay Nedry ran around in a BMW 5-series and lived in a super-lux house with pool, etc. Four out of Five Doctors...knew their music, but never got to meet them.

Just relocated to Danville, IL...and haven't even unpakced yet. Sorry to be so brief, but I've still got TONS to do. If you like, email me and we can talk more once I've gotten settled.

Keep Thumpin',

Lane

www.laneonbass.com
Keep Thumpin',

Lane On Bass

Twitter

Central Virginia Gigs
« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2004, 04:10:33 PM »
So south of Alexandria- sounds like either Springfield or Annandale.  It is such a small world!  Too bad to hear that the Road Ducks were a bit of a "petty monarchy"- I hate it when people let performing go to their heads and start to value themselves more than their bandmates.  Dealing with that kind of crap certainly has been the most trying part of being a semi-professional bass player for me.  Didn't anyone learn from James Brown's experience?  What did JB do after he fired Wesley, Parker, Collins et. al. except rest on his laurels?  (Not that he doesn't have many worthy laurels to rest on, just pointing out that his most vibrant and historically relevent musical contributions came from a collaborative effort.)

I'm sorry to say that Mongrel doesn't ring a bell.

I hope your ongoing move goes smoothly Lane, I'll drop you a line soon.  Good luck in Danville, IL, and if they start complaining about any earthquakes or tremors there we'll just have to remind them that Lane moved in, and it's just Big Thunder they're hearing!
'77 Fender Jazz
MIM Fender Precision
Eden D112XLT
Eden WTX-260
Genz Benz GB212T-UB

Offline LaneOnBass

• My Web Site
Central Virginia Gigs
« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2004, 11:45:47 PM »
Actually, I did live in Springfield at one time, as well as Annandale. But I was referring to the burbs down Fort Hunt Road...or south of Alex proper on the GW Parkway. That's where I grew up..and my mom still lives in that house. Both sisters are within a stone's throw of her...I'm the traveling one.

Mongrel -- later known as Blue Thunder, which I still use for the name of one of my projects -- was mostly a club band. Played DC, VA, MD, WV, NC, SC, GA, NJ, DE, PA and (I think) OH. I've slept a lot since then, though, so I could be leaving a state or two out. IN addition to a decent amount of originals, we did tons of blues & blues/rock, as well as some completely off the wall stuff...Wooly Bully with Baby Elephant Walk for the first guitar solo...All Apologies with Middle-Eastern guitar solo...Stairway to Freebird on the Water...stuff like that. Was a ton of fun because we never knew what we'd play next. Played close to 400 dates over about 14 months. I miss that band because it was so challenging. We were always pushing the envelope...mostly unrehearsed, almost jazz mentality.

Danville is great! Much better to be 100 yards away from my lady instead of 1100 miles, you know? Neighbors saw the rig move in...and put up For Sale signs. LOLOL

Drop a line when you have time...I'll keep an eye out for it.

Keep Thumpin',

Lane

www.laneonbass.com
Keep Thumpin',

Lane On Bass

Twitter

Central Virginia Gigs
« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2004, 04:55:36 PM »
I'm glad to hear you have moved in, and are so close to your sweetie now.  It must be really great.  I hope you can get some good gigs in Danville, or at least nearby.  I'm sure everyone there will want to jam with you Lane- you'll probably have to turn down gigs left and right.  Then again some towns don't have very many venues at all- I remember this W.Va town - Franklin, W.Va.- we played an outdoor wedding at last summer, and we attracted a crowd on the street just because it had been years since they had any live music in that town at all.  They told us about how there used to be a roadhouse just outside of town but it had closed a few years before.  I have no idea how big Danville is, but I hope it's bigger than Franklin, W.Va!

Tonight I have my big funk gig, and then I have two weeks to prepare for my really big New Years gig.  It gets hard to do work waiting to get ready for a gig, and my left arm has been feeling tight for a few days now :(  Playing with pain is, well, a pain.
'77 Fender Jazz
MIM Fender Precision
Eden D112XLT
Eden WTX-260
Genz Benz GB212T-UB