Author Topic: Bass Hacking  (Read 1634 times)

Offline malfunction54

• Andy M
Bass Hacking
« on: April 16, 2015, 03:34:44 PM »
So, I'm thinking about buying an inexpensive electric bass guitar, perhaps from Craigslist or a pawn shop to do some hacking on.  By hacking, I mean experimenting with the electronics.  Also, I'd like to do this with my kids to help them learn how electric basses work, and combine my enthusiasm for the maker culture, music, and teaching my kids cool stuff.  There are several possible projects here:

- making and install a rudimentary pickup
- adding built-in effects
- changing the positioning of the pickups
- custom paint and refinish the body

Anyone ever do this that can share pics or their experiences?

Also, any recommendations on a bass that is:
- easily obtainable for $100 or less used
- reasonably good quality
- flexible in terms of places to put "stuff"

I'm thinking a squier P or J bass.
Pedulla MVP-5
Eden WT-500 Highwayman
Eden D410XLT
ADA MB-1

Offline Bryan316

• http://www.imminentsonicdestruction.com
Re: Bass Hacking
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2015, 11:38:27 AM »
I've done the same thing.  Gutted an old beater, built a new body, ordered new pickups.  It sounded great!

However, I've never wound pickups before.

The new full-length album RECURRING THEMES out... Wait for it.... RIGHT NOW!
Go to www.ImminentSonicDestruction.com to order!!!
Eden WT550, WTB400

Offline tfcreative

« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2015, 04:35:20 PM »
I've not wound pickups before, but I've done other alteration and build work. A P-bass is probably a decent foundation, since the pickguard covers a large area and you could have more freedom with a router. There are a lot of P knockoffs, so if your goal is something that you can cut up, probably any cheap P will do.
Todd
I mostly play my Jazzmaster custom nowadays, but I do at least still own some basses.

Offline groovething001

• http://www.myspace.com/bassist001
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2015, 07:06:45 AM »
 Hi dude , yea I've done alot of hacking , spent loads of time enjoying my mods  and righting my wrongs . I tried and had some success and failures with winding , the most upsetting for me is breaking the wind half way through the spool .  When I'm back at home , in the next few weeks , I'll post up some of my success and failures . Peace , love and harmony
]http://www.myspace.com/bassist001
Wt 800 ,Wt 1250 2x410xsts and 4x210xlts
Clean, Clear & Loud

Offline malfunction54

• Andy M
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2015, 10:23:41 PM »
Thanks for the replies, all!  It does look like a P-bass will be a good foundation.  A friend of mine has free access to a few CNC routers, so I'm in the process of looking for some DXF files to feed it.  This way, I can get a brand new body for the cost of the lumber.  I'll see what I can find as far as used necks on Craigslist or repair shops.
Pedulla MVP-5
Eden WT-500 Highwayman
Eden D410XLT
ADA MB-1