Author Topic: Rip Van Dan ancient history  (Read 3387 times)

Offline Rip Van Dan

Rip Van Dan ancient history
« on: April 10, 2015, 12:45:29 PM »
Hi All,

I've been packing up to move and will leave Virginia on Saturday the 18th bound for Duvall, Washington (Seattle area).  Low and behold as I'm packing up stuff, I found these old pictures from 72 when I was touring with a night club group known as the Young Centurys.  Check out the 70's duds we wore.  The pants and vests were double-knit and if I recall correctly I'm wearing my purple shirt here while Vera Lynn (girl singer) is wearing a wearing custom purple and pink swirled mini-skirt and and Tom (on Congas) is wearing a custom made shirt to match.  We also had this pink nylon shirts and I had a red-lace shirt also.  We had gold chains on our vests and even wore white shoes with gold buckles!

Here's the whole group and that's my Standel Bass amp peaking out between Vera and Steve (Guitar Player).  We also had a keyboards player who was leaving the group, so he's not in the picture here.  Pictured here are Mickey Mosier on drums and back-up vocals, I'm on bass and vocals, Steve Bivins on guitar and vocals, Vera Lynn Mosier on vocals and tambourine, and Tom Ellis on Congas and vocals:

And just in case you didn't recognize me on that group picture, here's a close up.  Man, I was skinny and had lots of hair back then!  Talk about sideburns huh?  And yes, that is my 1965 Jazz Bass I'm playing with the black nylon-taped flat wounds .  Although I left the bridge pickup cover on the bass, I had removed that strip of foam from inside it.

Here's a shot of Tom (on the Congas), Steve (guitar) and myself.  You can see my amp a little better next to the Vox Super Beatle the guitar player used.   His amp was taller, but mine was LOUDER!  Notice that the Conga player (Tom) is standing off the side of the stage.  We didn't really have room for everyone on that stage and so Tom set up on the floor next to the stage.  Since he was about 6'5", he could stand to the side off the stage without looking like he was lower down.  He sang Elvis Presley and Tom Jones stuff like you wouldn't believe as well as some country stuff.  I'd give him the bass for the country stuff and double on guitar or keyboards when he played bass (country bass lines back then were really boring to play).

And finally, here's the eye-candy of the group, Vera Lynn.  She was married to the drummer, Mickey, who was the leader of the group.  She had really nice voice but not much range to begin with.  I showed her how to breathe for singing and her range went right up immediately.   She had made a country single when she was sixteen but the company took the money and ran.  She would do Carole King, 5th Dimension, Johnny Nash, Neil Diamond and an assortment of country songs too.  Steve (guitar) would sing all of the Creedence Clearwater stuff and some Rolling Stones; Tom did Elvis, Tom Jones, and Country; and I would do most of the ballads and classic rock (Santana, Beatles, Jackson Brown, Bread, Looking Glass, The Osmonds, The Who,  etc.  We did a few soul numbers, but not much.  Since everyone sang, we had some great harmonies on pretty much everything we did.

So much for my ancient history.  Based out of Santa Maria, California, we toured across the western and mid-western states.   Had a great time and met my wife at one of the gigs.  I convinced her to come on the road with me at the end of the gig.  We got married shortly after these pictures were taken and we've been married for 42 years now.   So these pictures are ancient!

Dan
Rip Van Dan
Dan Gracia
'82 US-made Fender Jazz Bass with maple neck
5-string Rogue LX405 Pro (Surprisingly good "no-name" bass)
WT500/800 Highwayman (signature model)
D.N.S 410-8
Line6 X2-XDS wireless
=========
spares:
Eden RS400, GK BK250, GK 115 cab, acoustic B410 cab, Sunn Beta 202 (2x12)

Offline Bob Cruz

Re: Rip Van Dan ancient history
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2015, 02:49:48 PM »
Great post and great pictures!  Still have any of the groovy clothes?  Thanks for posting.  :)
Bob Cruz

GB Streamliner 900 and 600 - Peavey USA Cirrus 5 - SX Jazz 5 x2 - BC Rich Mockingbird 5 - Cruz 112 x2 (22 pound flyweight cabs I built) - Kustom 115 D140F - Avatar Neo 112 x 2 - Modded Fender Rumble 40 x2

Offline Bassmann1968

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2015, 07:49:18 PM »
The cloth wouldn't fit anymore :-)
Great stuff, Dan!
Armin

PLEASE LIKE EDEN ON FACEBOOK!!!
No schematics available!!! Don't ask for it.
;)

WTP-Pre,1350,WTX260,WT300/400,WT1000,WTX1000N,NAV,WTDI
D112XLT,D210XST,D410XLT,D810RP,DNS410,DNS112

Offline Rip Van Dan

« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2015, 08:40:05 PM »
I actually do have some of those clothes in a box in the garage, Bob.  I came across them yesterday.  I know the red-lace one was there and I think what I used to call "the pink parachute shirt" was there as well. The red-lace shirt still looks cool.  I miss the long white vest with the gold chains though... :P

And thanks Armin for pointing out that they won't fit anymore!  >:(
 I could probably put my head through the neck opening of the shirt and wear it as a scarf now.  Dang I was skinny back then!

Normally we would wear one shirt for each night of the gig.  We typically played for two weeks at each gig before driving to the next one.  Then we got a gig at Little Bo's (the Little Bohemian Club) in Lincoln, Nebraska.   It was a big club and could seat 500 to  600 people.  It was "the" college hangout back then and "Big Red" (University of Nebraska) was the #1 college football team.  So it was a busy place.  When we got there, we found out that there was "no dancing".   :o :o ::) It was illegal in Lincoln, Nebraska to have live music, booze, and dancing inside the city limits.  You could have live music and dancing, but not if you sold booze because "that causes fights".  So everyone drank and no one danced.  That was a first for us and quite a shock. 

We worked up a bit of a show, tightened up our sets so there was almost no down time at all between songs, changed our shirts at every break, and picked on a couple of the regulars from time to time with some audience participation stuff.  By the third night we had turn-away crowds and were sold out for the next week and a half.  Do you have any idea how hard it is to take off a lace shirt when you're sweating from playing music under hot lights?   It ended up being  a fun gig.

Dan
Rip Van Dan
Dan Gracia
D.N.S 410-8
Line6 X2-XDS wireless
=========
spares:

Offline Bob Cruz

« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2015, 08:48:01 PM »
Hey Dan, maybe the shoes would still fit?!  BTW, I'm into vintage clothing and I'm still skinny, so send me some!  I actually haunt the thrift stores looking for vintage paisley shirts--one great score so far.  Outasight!  ;)
Bob Cruz

GB Streamliner 900 and 600 - Peavey USA Cirrus 5 - SX Jazz 5 x2 - BC Rich Mockingbird 5 - Cruz 112 x2 (22 pound flyweight cabs I built) - Kustom 115 D140F - Avatar Neo 112 x 2 - Modded Fender Rumble 40 x2

Offline TOM

« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2015, 03:44:04 AM »
Great post and great pictures!!!!
Dan you are handsome man  !!
i like  very much this time  period !!!

2xD410XLT/4/8, 2xD210XLT/4, 4xD112XLT/8, D210XST/8, WT800B, WP100, WT1000, WT405, MH600 'METRO' HEAD, 2xWTX260, N28, WTDI

Offline Rip Van Dan

« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2015, 08:18:37 AM »
Hey Dan, maybe the shoes would still fit?!  BTW, I'm into vintage clothing and I'm still skinny, so send me some!  I actually haunt the thrift stores looking for vintage paisley shirts--one great score so far.  Outasight!  ;)

Hey Bob,

The shoes died quite some time ago.  I wore out two pairs of them just playing gigs!  However, I might just send you the shirts if you can use them ON THE CONDITION that you wear them to a gig and send me pictures of you wearing them (or post them on the forum).  They are packed up now, but in a couple of weeks as we start settling into our new place in Washington, I may very well dig them out for you.  I think I was a size medium back then.

Dan
Rip Van Dan
Dan Gracia
D.N.S 410-8
Line6 X2-XDS wireless
=========
spares:

Offline Rip Van Dan

« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2015, 08:24:46 AM »
Great post and great pictures!!!!
Dan you are handsome man  !!
i like  very much this time  period !!!

Thanks Tom!

I certainly don't look like that now.  That was indeed a great time to be playing music!

Dan
Rip Van Dan
Dan Gracia
D.N.S 410-8
Line6 X2-XDS wireless
=========
spares:

Offline Bassmann1968

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: April 11, 2015, 08:40:29 AM »
Snip

And thanks Armin for pointing out that they won't fit anymore!  >:(
 I could probably put my head through the neck opening of the shirt and wear it as a scarf now.  Dang I was skinny back then!

Snip
I didn't mean that in any bad way ;-)
We all grow, as I can tell for sure :-))))
Armin

;)

Offline Bob Cruz

« Reply #9 on: April 11, 2015, 11:28:38 AM »
Hey Rip, that's a generous offer but (A) I wear a large size shirt and (B) the mojo should stay with you--you might skinny down into them some day or pass them along to a grandkid.  But yeah, I'd wear the groovy stuff to a gig!
Bob Cruz

Offline Rip Van Dan

« Reply #10 on: April 12, 2015, 09:36:01 AM »
Hey Armin,

I was just joking around.  I could just about fit two of the old me into my current body!

Dan
Rip Van Dan
Dan Gracia
D.N.S 410-8
Line6 X2-XDS wireless
=========
spares:

Offline Rip Van Dan

« Reply #11 on: April 12, 2015, 09:37:43 AM »
Hey Bob,

There's little or no chance of me ever getting that skinny again.   However, I hadn't thought of passing it down to one of my grandkids.   Now that would be cool!

Dan
Rip Van Dan
Dan Gracia
D.N.S 410-8
Line6 X2-XDS wireless
=========
spares:

Offline Bassmann1968

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: April 12, 2015, 08:05:50 PM »
Hey Armin,

I was just joking around.  I could just about fit two of the old me into my current body!

Dan
I hear and feel you!
Armin

;)

RV BASS

« Reply #13 on: April 20, 2015, 02:09:08 PM »
Ah the good 'ole days, nice stuff Dan! :)

Offline Bass Mayhem

• http://www.myspace.com/rogerthebassmayhem
« Reply #14 on: April 20, 2015, 04:26:34 PM »
Nice trip down memory lane, I believe...  :D
Nice pic's!
Roger - the Bass Mayhem

Dingwall, Fender, Kremona, Lakland, NS and Tom Clement basses
Eden, Bose, Genz Benz, Genzler and TKS amps & cabs
Avalon, Boss, EBS, Eventide, RMI, Suncoast, Voodoo Lab & Vovox