Author Topic: So... a new amplifier??  (Read 16154 times)

Offline Vinny D

• http://www.myspace.com/vinnydagostino
Re: So... a new amplifier??
« Reply #30 on: January 24, 2015, 11:35:11 AM »
Says in the manual that you can run 2, 4 ohm cabs in Bridged Mode.  Have to assume  that means its looking at an 8 ohm load, not a 2 ohm load.

Looks to me like they still have not mastered the art of writing a correct manual.
Bridge mode is listed as 8-ohm.. I would assume this means 8-ohm only.
Dual mono mode shows 4-ohm minimum, does not state it can be used at 2-ohms per side.(which leaves me to believe mono bridged operation is just 8-ohms, not 4-ohms like the later WT800's and WT1205)

Unless if they are providing a specialty cable to connect (2) 4-ohm cabs in series to get 8-ohms, they cant be used in bridge mode.

Offline Rip Van Dan

« Reply #31 on: January 24, 2015, 12:46:21 PM »
Hi Vinny,

My "guess" on that is that the bridged mode connects the power amps in series (Armin yes-no?),  so the two 4 ohm cabinets will produce an 8 ohm load.   The trick here seems to be that because you don't  hook them up to a single output it connects together the outputs you are currently using in series instead of in parallel?

If you have two 4 ohm cabinets in the older WT800 (or 500, or 600), the only way way you could hook them both up to that bridged output would be to hook the two cabinets up in series instead of the default parallel connection.  That way, you would also have an 8 ohm load that is safe to use in the bridged output.

I'm just guessing, but if Armin can get his hands on one, he could give us a definitive answer.

I know that the power handling of the current WT800C, which says 8 ohm minimum on the bridged output hasn't changed from the earlier WT800B and WT800C which said "4 ohm minimum load" on the bridged output.   The new Marshall  owners were not comfortable leaving it at 4ohm minimum even though that amp has been used successfully running the 4 ohm bridged load for years.  So they changed the writing on the back of the amp.  I can't really fault them for trying to minimize the risk  of overheating from too low a load because they are the ones who have to repair/replace the amp if something goes wrong.  But it makes it seem like a less capable amp than it really is.

I'm a little surprised however that they still specify 8 ohm minimum bridged with the new WP900 when it is using what looks like (I could easily be wrong) the same power supply and power sections with vastly improved cooling.  I really expected a 4 ohm minimum bridged on it.   

Hmmmmmm.....maybe Eden should send me one to play with for a while (nudge, nudge, wink, wink, you know what I mean, know what I mean...)  ;)

Dan
Rip Van Dan
Dan Gracia
'82 US-made Fender Jazz Bass with maple neck
5-string Rogue LX405 Pro (Surprisingly good "no-name" bass)
WT500/800 Highwayman (signature model)
D.N.S 410-8
Line6 X2-XDS wireless
=========
spares:
Eden RS400, GK BK250, GK 115 cab, acoustic B410 cab, Sunn Beta 202 (2x12)

Offline mbrain

« Reply #32 on: January 24, 2015, 01:21:01 PM »
...Unless if they are providing a specialty cable to connect (2) 4-ohm cabs in series to get 8-ohms, they cant be used in bridge mode.

You're right about the manual being a bit, well, vague in places.  But page 14 of the manual indicates that there is a "bridge series mode," which suggests to me that the amp can internally configure the output jacks in series rather than requiring a special cable.

Offline Vinny D

• http://www.myspace.com/vinnydagostino
« Reply #33 on: January 24, 2015, 01:33:49 PM »
...Unless if they are providing a specialty cable to connect (2) 4-ohm cabs in series to get 8-ohms, they cant be used in bridge mode.

You're right about the manual being a bit, well, vague in places.  But page 14 of the manual indicates that there is a "bridge series mode," which suggests to me that the amp can internally configure the output jacks in series rather than requiring a special cable.

It looks like the amp will configure to series mode:

Bridge Series: In addition to standard modes the World Tour Pro 900 is able to run in Bridge Series Mode. When engaged the amplifier can
be used in bridged mode with 2 - 4ohm cabinets.

Just kind of seems to me like it will be even more confusing for uses whom never understood ohm ratings and how to run bridge mode operation.

I am fine with it if this is how this amplifier actually works, makes it really user friendly to those that own many different cabinets.

Offline Bob Cruz

« Reply #34 on: January 24, 2015, 02:20:24 PM »
I wonder what the difference is between running two 4-ohm cabinets in bridge series mode versus just running them off each side in dual mono mode.  If there's no difference, then that feature should be eliminated before the amps hit the stores.
Bob Cruz

GB Streamliner 900 and 600 - Peavey USA Cirrus 5 - SX Jazz 5 x2 - BC Rich Mockingbird 5 - Cruz 112 x2 (22 pound flyweight cabs I built) - Kustom 115 D140F - Avatar Neo 112 x 2 - Modded Fender Rumble 40 x2

RV BASS

« Reply #35 on: January 24, 2015, 02:52:13 PM »
Looks nice.  I like the ability to control the compressor,  the mute button (and foot switch), and active/ passive inputs.  The tube mix control with the two-tube preamp may result in the nice warm sound of a WT400 with twice the power, now wouldn't that be nice!  The improved cooling system should help a lot too.  Glad they retained the 3-band EQ.  Anybody hear one yet?

Offline Rip Van Dan

« Reply #36 on: January 25, 2015, 09:51:15 AM »
I wonder what the difference is between running two 4-ohm cabinets in bridge series mode versus just running them off each side in dual mono mode.  If there's no difference, then that feature should be eliminated before the amps hit the stores.

Bob, I think  that bridged is still useful for putting lots of watts into one 8-ohm cabinet, which was real common using the WT800 bridged into a single D410XLT or XST.  If it works by hooking them in series, then I'm not sure hooking up two 8 ohm cabs would do any good because that would run it at 16 ohms (series) instead of 4 ohms (parallel).  Running at 16 ohms would drop the power by half.  Perhaps there's some magic that lets the amp know what is hooked up and changes it to series or parallel connection, whichever is appropriate?

Dan
Rip Van Dan
Dan Gracia
D.N.S 410-8
Line6 X2-XDS wireless
=========
spares:

Offline Rip Van Dan

« Reply #37 on: January 25, 2015, 09:52:56 AM »
Looks nice.  I like the ability to control the compressor,  the mute button (and foot switch), and active/ passive inputs.  The tube mix control with the two-tube preamp may result in the nice warm sound of a WT400 with twice the power, now wouldn't that be nice!  The improved cooling system should help a lot too.  Glad they retained the 3-band EQ.  Anybody hear one yet?

+1 RV BASS

I'm right there with you on each of those features.  Really nice to see the multi-adjustable compressor.  I really miss the footswitch mute that I have on my RS400.  My WT500/800 doesn't have either button on the amp face or the footswitch.  A footswitch mute is very convenient to use.  With the separate active and passive inputs, I could leave both my basses plugged in (one is passive and the other is active).

Dan
« Last Edit: January 25, 2015, 09:58:04 AM by Rip Van Dan »
Rip Van Dan
Dan Gracia
D.N.S 410-8
Line6 X2-XDS wireless
=========
spares:

Offline Bob Cruz

« Reply #38 on: January 25, 2015, 11:28:36 AM »
I'm with you on bridging, Dan--it's only the series bridging that I need clarity on.  If it's the SAME power to each 4 ohm cabinet as the amp would produce in dual mono, then it's a confusing duplicate feature that should be dropped.  But I'm only asking the question, not assuming that's the case.
Bob Cruz

GB Streamliner 900 and 600 - Peavey USA Cirrus 5 - SX Jazz 5 x2 - BC Rich Mockingbird 5 - Cruz 112 x2 (22 pound flyweight cabs I built) - Kustom 115 D140F - Avatar Neo 112 x 2 - Modded Fender Rumble 40 x2

Offline Rip Van Dan

« Reply #39 on: January 26, 2015, 09:16:48 AM »
Yeah Bob, it's not clear from the documentation and I'm wondering how it works too.  If it does hook up 4 ohm cabs in series to make it an 8 ohm load, they will get exactly the same power each as they do in dual mono...so no real advantage there.

You know...Armin really needs to get one of these  and let us know what the story is!!  Here that Armin?  Go buy a WTP900...what do you mean they won't be available until March??  :-[ :-[ :-[

Dan
Rip Van Dan
Dan Gracia
D.N.S 410-8
Line6 X2-XDS wireless
=========
spares:

Offline Bassmann1968

• Administrator
« Reply #40 on: January 26, 2015, 01:56:54 PM »
Don't worry, I wii get one as soon as possible :D
Armin

PLEASE LIKE EDEN ON FACEBOOK!!!
No schematics available!!! Don't ask for it.
;)

WTP-Pre,1350,WTX260,WT300/400,WT1000,WTX1000N,NAV,WTDI
D112XLT,D210XST,D410XLT,D810RP,DNS410,DNS112

Offline jmcgliss

• http://www.jcthebassman.com
« Reply #41 on: January 26, 2015, 05:47:35 PM »
A missed opportunity for Armin to check one out when he visited Chi-town in October.
Jeff C
| WT800C | WT405 | WTX-260 | D112XLTs & D212XLT4 sold | Nemesis N8 | EM3 & EM5 monitors | D.N.A. DNS-112N's | ProCablesNSound cables | www.jcthebassman.com |

Offline Bassmann1968

• Administrator
« Reply #42 on: January 26, 2015, 09:31:51 PM »
I didn't know that time.
I knew something was cooking, but that's about it.
Armin

PLEASE LIKE EDEN ON FACEBOOK!!!
No schematics available!!! Don't ask for it.
;)

WTP-Pre,1350,WTX260,WT300/400,WT1000,WTX1000N,NAV,WTDI
D112XLT,D210XST,D410XLT,D810RP,DNS410,DNS112

Offline BassDbler

• BassDbler
« Reply #43 on: January 27, 2015, 01:55:58 PM »
I got a chance to play the World Tour Pros at NAMM. I can say that even after the heads had been on all day, they were still very cool. The fans are excellent. The tube mix is great. I think that at about 12 o'clock the sound opens up and is more 3D. Cranking the tube mix, you start to get a bit of grit. By no means is this a "distortion" effect like you see on some other heads. Another big improvement is that the pots are now sealed... hugely important with the increased airflow.

I'm happy to try and answer or offer my opinion on anything...

Offline Duff2

« Reply #44 on: January 27, 2015, 02:14:38 PM »
I got a chance to play the World Tour Pros at NAMM. I can say that even after the heads had been on all day, they were still very cool. The fans are excellent. The tube mix is great. I think that at about 12 o'clock the sound opens up and is more 3D. Cranking the tube mix, you start to get a bit of grit. By no means is this a "distortion" effect like you see on some other heads. Another big improvement is that the pots are now sealed... hugely important with the increased airflow.

I'm happy to try and answer or offer my opinion on anything...

What type of bass were you using?

Any 'gain issues' with the new pre-amp like what was seen with the WT-1205?