Author Topic: Johnny B. Gayden  (Read 3054 times)

Offline 63p-bass

• The blues is alright
Johnny B. Gayden
« on: July 31, 2014, 09:19:30 AM »
As I think back, bass has had a great influence on my enjoyment of music. Even when I was young and wasn't yet aware of the bass guitar, the driving force of the bass was one of the main things I liked about most songs, no matter what the style of music was.
When I discovered the Blues and Funk in the early 70's was when I really got into bass. I already had a heavy influence of soul by that time from the greats of the 60's and I switched from guitarist/singer to the bass.
The first bass player that I tried to emulate was Johnny B. Gayden. Johnny is a major player and has been with many of the blues greats including Johnny Winter, Albert Collins, Lucky Peterson, Muddy Waters.
If you're into blues and haven't heard him, check him out.
I still enjoy listening to Johnny and I like several other players as well. Willie Weeks, Tommy Shannon, Freddie Crawford, Duck Dunn to name a few. Lately I've been listening to a lot of Bobby Womack. Bobby' s brother Harry Womack is MONSTER of a player. He died in the early 70's at about age 24, but had awesome chops for a young man. Check out Bobby Womack The Soul Years or any old recordings of The Valentinos to hear Harry's chops. He was one of the most rhythmic, percussive, and melodic bass players I've ever heard.
Jim

WT-405, WT550,
TN 226, Aguilar TH500
D112XST8, D112XLT8
EVM 15 in custom Theil cabs (x2)

'85 Fender Japan Jazz '75 Reissue
'06 Fender Am FSR Precision

Offline zambiland

Re: Johnny B. Gayden
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2014, 02:16:40 PM »
Yup, JBG changed my life in the early 80s (1981 to be exact). What a great player. I've never met him (too shy to talk to him at the gigs with Albert Collins that I saw), but I owe him a huge debt of inspiration.
WP100
WXT500
WT1205
Grace Design M103
QSC Frankenstein PL236
fEARful 15/6/1
'67 Guild Starfire w/Alembic Series II guts
Modulus Q6 TBX
David King fretless 5

Offline 63p-bass

• The blues is alright
Re: Johnny B. Gayden
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2014, 11:55:10 AM »
Yup, JBG changed my life in the early 80s (1981 to be exact). What a great player. I've never met him (too shy to talk to him at the gigs with Albert Collins that I saw), but I owe him a huge debt of inspiration.

zambiland - I think Johnny's great! If you're on Facebook you can find Johnny's page and friend him to see what he's up to these days. He lives in Goshen, Indiana and works as a delivery driver now. He plays with several bands in the area and it's been fun to see what he's up to these days. Of course, he's still a great player.
So, is Blues your main musical interest? Where do live and play music?
Jim

WT-405, WT550,
TN 226, Aguilar TH500
D112XST8, D112XLT8
EVM 15 in custom Theil cabs (x2)

'85 Fender Japan Jazz '75 Reissue
'06 Fender Am FSR Precision