Author Topic: Rock Lotto  (Read 3204 times)

Offline Bassballz

• Fun Stuff
Rock Lotto
« on: January 29, 2014, 10:00:11 AM »
So I've decided to participate this Saturday in a 'Rock Lotto'. I had never been in one before.

So I guess there are 25 musicians, we throw our names in a hat. We have bass players, guitar players, drummers, singers, keyboards...etc...

Pull an instrumentalist of each kind out of a hat and 'Boom!' you are a band for the day.

We meet at 10am and perform a show at 6pm. 3 originals and one cover.

I'm not exactly sure what to expect. I have high hopes as the local Burlington, Vermont music scene is pretty lush with local talent. I at least know I'll be rockin' a pretty sweet bass rig.  8)

Anyone else try something like this before?
EM5's, DNS210 x2, D.N.A. 1350

Online Bassmann1968

• Administrator
Re: Rock Lotto
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2014, 10:27:17 AM »
A rig like this? YES!!! :D
Rock Lotto? No, but it sounds like fun. Maybe something more is coming up after that.
Always good to meet other musicians and make some new friends.
Armin

PLEASE LIKE EDEN ON FACEBOOK!!!
No schematics available!!! Don't ask for it.
;)

WTP-Pre,1350,WTX260,WT300/400,WT1000,WTX1000N,NAV,WTDI
D112XLT,D210XST,D410XLT,D810RP,DNS410,DNS112

Offline Paulinderwick

• Jimmy C and the Bluesdragons
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2014, 10:28:40 AM »
UK Jam sessions (probably others) work in a similar way by throwing players together but without the 'rehearse' bit, not surprisingly they tend to be either blues based or jazz based with charts.  The essential thing is that everyone must listen to everyone else - anyone who goes off plank-spanking will do no-one any favours.  The originals bit sounds great though, never done anything like that although our esteemed leader/guitarist/singer/songwriter pitches up new songs mid-set.  Not as scary as it sounds as the band is blues based and he borrows structures that are either well-known or pretty obvious.  Sounds great - remember - LISTEN!
UK member, WT330, WTX260, 2 x EX112 (both 4 ohm), WTDI, and a Microtour as well as a Roland Super Cube Bass, Blackstar HT5, Fender Jazz '67, Fretless Fender Jazz '70, Burns Barracuda, Epiphone EB-0, Ashbory, Stagg EUB and guitars and ukuleles and a mandolin as well

Offline Rip Van Dan

« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2014, 10:42:45 PM »
When I lived in Lake Shastina in the very northern part of California (40 miles south of Oregon/California border), I had an extremely limited income but managed to put enough money aside to drive the 20 miles to Mt. Shasta City each week to partake in the Wednesday Night Jam that was put on by the Siskiyou Blues Society.  Never knew who you were going to end up playing with or when you'd get a turn but they provided free soft drinks for anyone on the list to play that night.  Beer was extra and I was broke, so I drank coke and root beer.  Sometimes you'd play the blues; sometimes classic rock; and sometimes everything in between.  If it wasn't going to be the blues, you would typically get the old "chords for the verse are this...for the bridge are this...and the chorus is this...listen for the changes" and away we'd go.  Surprisingly, it was almost never a train wreck and was always a lot of fun!

Dan
Rip Van Dan
Dan Gracia
'82 US-made Fender Jazz Bass with maple neck
5-string Rogue LX405 Pro (Surprisingly good "no-name" bass)
WT500/800 Highwayman (signature model)
D.N.S 410-8, Eden EX112 x2
Line6 G10s wireless
==
spares:
Eden RS400, GK BK250, BPX115 cab, acoustic B410 cab, Sunn Beta 202 (2x12)

Offline TobiasMan

« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2014, 10:36:16 AM »
Sounds like it could be a blast!

Hang loose and have fun.

Let us know how it goes, eh?  8)

Offline Bassballz

• Fun Stuff
« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2014, 07:07:37 AM »
What a show! There ended up being four bands, and each band reported the same fun experience.

The music was unique. We all agreed none of us would have ever singularly written music anywhere close to what we played. We had a 45 year old, pot smoking blues guitarist. We had a Bosnian drummer with a fantastic internal clock, I was rocking the bass, and last but not least we had a 30 year old computer and keytar player.

I really wish I had recordings of the songs, they were a lot of fun and well done.

First song was called, "Kamenko the Caveman". It was about a caveman that loved disco, was buried in a glacier, but later in 1971 there were plans to build a huge disco lounge. While excavating the ground they un-earthed Kamenko, and he returned to become a disco King. The song of course was disco funk.

Second was a NIN-esque digital tribute at the beginning, but once you add the analog sounds of a guitar, bass, and drums to the computer programming, it turned into a whacked out 'Talking Heads' feeling song, which was stellar.

Third song was from our blues guitarist, he played a nice slow blues groove which we all got behind.

Finally, our one cover. After much debating, we finally busted out Jenny, 867-5309.

It was a good freakin' night. I can't wait for the next show. Oh... and by the way, my first real test of the WT1205 and EX410 in a gig setting? AMAZING! I was getting compliments on the tone all night.

Online Bassmann1968

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2014, 08:59:45 AM »
Sounds good.
Glad the WT1205 performed well.
Armin

PLEASE LIKE EDEN ON FACEBOOK!!!
No schematics available!!! Don't ask for it.
;)

WTP-Pre,1350,WTX260,WT300/400,WT1000,WTX1000N,NAV,WTDI
D112XLT,D210XST,D410XLT,D810RP,DNS410,DNS112

Offline Paulinderwick

• Jimmy C and the Bluesdragons
« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2014, 05:00:37 PM »
Excellent - sounds like a real fun day - must see about getting something like this started in my locale! Who and how was it actually organised, other than the lotto aspect of selection?
UK member, WT330, WTX260, 2 x EX112 (both 4 ohm), WTDI, and a Microtour as well as a Roland Super Cube Bass, Blackstar HT5, Fender Jazz '67, Fretless Fender Jazz '70, Burns Barracuda, Epiphone EB-0, Ashbory, Stagg EUB and guitars and ukuleles and a mandolin as well

Offline Bassballz

• Fun Stuff
« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2014, 05:31:24 AM »
The rock lotto was organized as a fundraiser event by Girls Rock VT, an organization that puts on a summer camp for girls interested in learning music.

We met at a local coffee shop at 10am (all 25 of us).

-Each drummer had a number 1-5, as did each vocalist, bass player, drummer, etc.
-Band was decided on a draw of 1-5 out of a hat for each instrument

We then went to predetermined practice spaces for the day with the simple directions of write 3 originals and 1 cover, return to the venue site at 5pm to load in and start bands at 6pm. This wasn't a competition, just a fun fundraiser (rather successful I might add).

It was extremely gratifying. I'd encourage anyone to try to organize something like this for fun. Being under the gun of having essentially only 6 viable hours of practice time with your band, the goals are quite aggressive. However, the music that comes out of a situation like that has the potential to be some pretty memorable stuff.