Author Topic: Norman Watt-Roy  (Read 2931 times)

Offline Paulinderwick

• Jimmy C and the Bluesdragons
Norman Watt-Roy
« on: July 09, 2013, 06:04:06 AM »
Norman was the bass player with Ian Dury and the Blockheads and Wilko Johnson, amongst others - a great funk bass player who created some stunning riffs - for example Frankie Goes to Hollywood's Relax is Norman.  Just discovered an interview with Norman - http://getreadytorock.me.uk/blog/2013/07/interview-with-bass-icon-norman-watt-roy-june-2013/ - talking about his first solo album 'Faith and Grace' (you'll read why) and, better still you can listen to the album on Spotify.  His version of My Foolish Heart is lovely and dedicated to his late wife.  If you have never listened to his playing check out 'Hit Me With Your Rhythm Stick' by Ian Dury for a quite stunning funk bass line in 16ths, or are they 32nds?
UK member, WT330, WTX260, 2 x EX112 (both 4 ohm), WTDI, and a Microtour as well as a Roland Super Cube Bass, Blackstar HT5, Fender Jazz '67, Fretless Fender Jazz '70, Burns Barracuda, Epiphone EB-0, Ashbory, Stagg EUB and guitars and ukuleles and a mandolin as well

Offline paulie

• Shady Bernstein at MySpace
Re: Norman Watt-Roy
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2013, 10:01:55 PM »
Oh yes! And with the Clash (Sandinista! in particular) and Wilko Johnson

paulie

WT800B/WT330/D212XLT4/D210XST4/EX112 4ohm/Fender PBass Special/Fender Deluxe Jazz/Squier VM Fretless Jazz w. Nordies