Author Topic: Rebuild your old drivers option  (Read 16144 times)

Offline fox

• I hate that its always my birthday anytime soon
Re: Rebuild your old drivers option
« Reply #15 on: January 01, 2013, 07:15:10 AM »
+1 with Paul for UK users! They are great guys and also slightly upgraded my 2 210 drivers when I fried the coils so I could alter the impedance plus they gave a wider band of doping to the cone to help stiffen where it creases.
Recemmended!
The more I learn, the less I know.
Still learning to play: MM Stingray5, NS CR5 eub, Lakland Joe Osborne sig 5. WT800, 210xlt, 410xlt, G-B Streamliner 900 and still getting up to no good in a kilt!

Offline fox

• I hate that its always my birthday anytime soon
« Reply #16 on: April 12, 2013, 07:07:51 AM »
And to update this a little, I also just had my 410xlt's reconed nearly 8yrs after the above event, again at the same place. They did an identical job so everything looks original except the performance is upped slightly. The cones seem much more controlled now at any volume.
The advice I received was that the paper cones wear out after years of regular use and need to be done as they go slack.

Gear looking a bit road weary?
I recommend carpet cleaner, gold/black spray paint for tweeter/grilles and a recone. Way cheaper than replacing it all!
Mine came up almost like new so now I'm keeping it all.
The more I learn, the less I know.
Still learning to play: MM Stingray5, NS CR5 eub, Lakland Joe Osborne sig 5. WT800, 210xlt, 410xlt, G-B Streamliner 900 and still getting up to no good in a kilt!

Offline dbsfgyd1

« Reply #17 on: May 14, 2013, 07:56:08 AM »
Does this guy have an updated link? I tried to use the one listed, but it is not functional.
WTDI, WP-100 Navigator, WT-1250, WT 800, D-210-XLT, D-210-XST, Nemesis RS 320-15, Nemesis RS-320-210, Fender USA P-Bass Deluxe, Warwick Corvette 5 string.

Offline Funkerator

« Reply #18 on: June 06, 2013, 10:39:38 AM »
I communicated with Jason a little over a month or so ago with out troubles using this email address:
pmreproductions@neo.rr.com   
Funkerator

Warwick, G&L and Peavey Basses
WT800, D212XLT, D118XL, WTB1000
CXC-210 WT405, CXC-212 WT400, CXC-212 VT-.40

Offline jcs

« Reply #19 on: December 26, 2013, 03:02:04 AM »
You can always add additional doping to the cone edge and/or the spider assembly (if you can reach the spider).

I don't mean to sound condescending but I've done this numerous times with vintage guitar & hi-fi speakers of which my collection is 100+.

I was very fortunate to talk with the late Ted Weber Sr. at length about saving vintage and hard to recone speakers.

Ted always recommended 'Weldwood contact cement' which I have used as well as cheap 'Elmers rubber cement' for edge doping.

Of course if the voice coil is burned out or misaligned it needs to be reconed but you can sometimes save torn speaker cones by building up layers of tissue paper and contact cement...I saved an EV15L in this manner as well as many other irreplaceable 1950's alnico speakers. 

Offline TobyClass

« Reply #20 on: January 17, 2014, 07:54:58 AM »
This guy: Jason, is NO JOKE! He handles his business like a pro. Communication is stellar and you are always informed of every step of the process. He even does follow-ups to ensure that you are happy with his craft. We have very few options in this regard, but as long as this guy is ONE of them...that's all you'll need. He cranked my speakers out pronto, even during Christmas/NYE week. One stop.
-Deke

Offline Jason Tice

« Reply #21 on: December 13, 2014, 07:45:09 AM »
HI GUYS,Jason Tice here at PMR/ HEMP-O LOUDspeakers in West Salem, Ohio......
   I just wanted to drop in on this posting to answer a few of your concerns that I came across...
     Yes, I CAN re-cone, hot-rod, and re-fabricate Eminence 18" speakers....I am fortunate enough to have friends and contacts at two of the larger loudspeaker components manufacturing plants here in the USA, so I do have access to all of the OEM *AMERICAN* made components (I REFUSE to use 'replacement', "Waldo", import, and/or JUNK Chinese components).........
  I know it sounds like a sales pitch, but you really ARE better off rebuilding your eden speakers when they need it versus replacement.I have been doing loudspeakers for decades,and can tell you the eden quality is second-to-NONE! Plus, I can provide all sorts of upgrade options while we're at it, including ferro-fluid in the coil gaps, using metal voice coil formers, higher power capacities, using my  hemp fiber cones,tonality manipulation (there's a fun one!),and ReZoN-Ex edge treatment dampeners....
   If you have ANY questions or concerns, feel free to contact me at:

pmreproductions@neo.rr.com
            or
     cell/text:  419 908 1440

Keep those Eden loudspeakers running!!!!

Offline Bob Cruz

« Reply #22 on: December 17, 2015, 06:04:14 PM »
Here's a thumbs-up recommendation for reconing in the Houston area, from another thread:

http://www.edenampsforum.com/index.php/topic,20961.msg229506/topicseen.html#msg229506
Bob Cruz

GB Streamliner 900 and 600 - Peavey USA Cirrus 5 - SX Jazz 5 x2 - BC Rich Mockingbird 5 - Cruz 112 x2 (22 pound flyweight cabs I built) - Kustom 115 D140F - Avatar Neo 112 x 2 - Modded Fender Rumble 40 x2

Offline HankBass

« Reply #23 on: January 29, 2016, 02:10:28 PM »
I recently had two of my EC1060F 10" speakers from my 92 D-410T cabinet reconed by Jason at PMR.  As a couple of folks here on this site have said he does excellent work. My cabinet is sounding better than ever with the reconed speakers.
I have an Eden VT.40  amp and Eden D410-T cabinet that I have had for 25 years. I asked Jason to put them as close to original as possible and I think he did just that.
I would definitely recommend PMR to everyone.

Offline pbrband

« Reply #24 on: October 25, 2016, 01:29:10 PM »
I do not recommend Jason Tice.  He rebuilt 4 of my speakers and the dust cap blew off if one of them within 8 hours of gentle playtime.  He offered his warrenty service but I refuse to send them back to him after speaking with other recone services around the country who knew him by name and did nothing but apologize  for the service that I received.  He is not licensed to sell the parts that he uses.  From what I was told he is using b stock parts and parts that are no longer available.  He refunded me 1/2 of what he did and I had to file a chargeback on the other half plus the return shipping through my bank.  If you do hire him be sure to pay via Credit/debit.  PayPal will not cover warranty claims.

Offline lofiandicons

« Reply #25 on: April 01, 2017, 07:55:55 PM »
Jason at PMR re coned my 15 from my DXLT115 and it was much cheaper than buying a replacement speaker and sounds as good if not better than before.

Offline canefire

« Reply #26 on: May 25, 2017, 10:47:13 AM »
I sent an email to Jason. Does anyone know if he is still doing this work? Been a week and no response. Plus the email for pmreproductions@neorr.com is not accepting emails.

Cheers,
Ian
« Last Edit: May 28, 2017, 07:50:34 PM by canefire »

Offline Bob_Ross

« Reply #27 on: March 14, 2018, 04:03:08 PM »
Any Eden users in New York City have a recommendation for getting David-series drivers reconed locally?

I see that dBM Pro Audio Services does Eden reconing as per their website...but I also see (as per some Yelp reviews) that if I give my driver to dBM Pro Audio Services to be reconed it will take them >6 months and then they'll lose it.  :::angryface:::

Anyone have a go-to place in Manhattan?  Thanks.

Offline Paulinderwick

• Jimmy C and the Bluesdragons
« Reply #28 on: March 14, 2018, 05:57:37 PM »
I think you should start a fresh thread for this... just piggy-backing on an old thread could mean that people switch off before going to the end of the thread to see your post... of course you could come to London and see Wembley Audio - but I hope you find something a bit nearer...
UK member, WT330, WTX260, 2 x EX112 (both 4 ohm), WTDI, and a Microtour as well as a Roland Super Cube Bass, Blackstar HT5, Fender Jazz '67, Fretless Fender Jazz '70, Burns Barracuda, Epiphone EB-0, Ashbory, Stagg EUB and guitars and ukuleles and a mandolin as well

Offline Bob_Ross

« Reply #29 on: March 19, 2018, 11:02:25 AM »
Thanks for the suggestion, will do.