Author Topic: quick one about balanced/unbalanced connections  (Read 1293 times)

Offline --JM--

quick one about balanced/unbalanced connections
« on: October 01, 2010, 09:04:06 AM »
Hey all-
So I recently aquired the WP100 preamp, and a crown xls 1000 power amp.

I know that the preamp out is unbalanced, but was wondering if anyone knows if the 1/4 inch input on the crown xls series is balanced or not.  

Also, on the speakon outputs (which I've never used before), are they balanced or unbalanced?  I have a TS speaker cable that I've been using with my old bass head, but it seems that I'm stepping into a larger world with the new gear...

And apparently, there's no obligation in manuals to mention balanced or unbalanced nature of the ins/outs, and no recommendation for cables to use on the Crown.

basically (BASS-ically), I'm looking to use a regular unbalanced instrument cable from the preamp into the poweramp, and a regular unbalanced speaker cable from the power amp to my existing cabinet.

Any reason I'd encounter difficulty or degradation in sound by going this route?

Thanks all.  believe me, the guidance is well appreciated.
-j

Offline coop

« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2010, 02:41:56 PM »
Yes, but probably only detectable by an oscilloscope.  The 1/4" input to the Crown should be a tip-ring-sleeve connector.  You can use a regular TS cable between the two and you'll be fine.  It would be best to get a TS/TRS adapter cable, but not necessary on a cable run measured in inches.  

As far as power outputs are concerned, there is no such thing as balanced or unbalanced.  A regular two-conductor speaker cable with 1/4" ends will be just fine.  Just be sure to use speaker cables and not instrument cables for your amp/cab connection.  The best bet there is to use Speakons or a Speakon to 1/4" adapter cable.

Coop

"The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench.  A long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side."
- Hunter S. Thompson

WT400/WT550/212XLT/2x112xlt/210XLT
'07 custom Warwick Thumb fretless, '99 KYDD Carry-on 4 EUB, '76 MusicMan StingRay
Coop

WT400/WT550/TCE RH750/MarkBass Mini CMD 121P/TC BG250 Combo
2x112xlt/Mesa Subway Ultralight 115, 112
Alembic Rogue, Fodera Yin-Yang Standard, Warwick Corvette $$, NS OmniBass EUB, and too many others to mention

Offline --JM--

« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2010, 06:17:59 PM »
Thanks!
That is the exact information that I wished appeared in the manual!
much appreciated!
-j