Author Topic: Introduce Yourself  (Read 275233 times)

Offline LaneOnBass

• My Web Site
Introduce Yourself
« on: May 12, 2005, 08:25:49 AM »
Hey, new members!

Welcome to the forum. We hope you find it useful, informative and fun. If you haven't done so already, please take a minute to fill out your profile...not just a screen name, ok?

We hope you'll also take a minute to respond to this thread and introduce yourself to the community. When you're done, you might also consider dropping a post in the Talk About Your Setup folder to tell us about your current rig.

Since no one likes to be first, I'll do it. (See next post in this thread.)

Again, welcome!

Keep Thumpin',

Lane Baldwin
Special Projects Coordinator
and Forum Moderator

Ask not what bass can do for you...
   Ask what YOU can do for bass.

www.laneonbass.com
Keep Thumpin',

Lane On Bass

Former Eden Spec. Proj. Coord. & Artist Relations

My Web Site | Facebook Page
Twitter

Offline LaneOnBass

• My Web Site
Introduce Yourself
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2005, 08:33:38 AM »
OK, I promised I'd go first, so here it is in a nutshell:

I've been a a bassist for just over 35 years. My main styles are blues and rock, but I've played everything except rap and opera. Been using Eden gear for about twelve years, and an endorser for about ten.

I started moderating the forum in November of last year, and came on full-time in March, 2005. My official title is Special Projects Coordinator. In addition to my duties on the forum, I handle a lot of writing projects, including owner's manuals, training stuff, web content, press releases and more. I also do research projects, some amp testing, and whatever else David asks me to do. As of now, I'll be working with the AR department helping to oversee the Emerging Artist program.

I recently relocated to Danville, IL. Now that I'm finally somewhat settled, I'm putting out some feelers in the local music community looking for live and studio work.

You can learn a little more by checking out my profile and visitng my web sites.

OH! I'm a confirmed Edenite!

OK...that should do it.

Who's next?

Keep Thumpin',

Lane Baldwin
Special Projects Coordinator
and Forum Moderator

Ask not what bass can do for you...
   Ask what YOU can do for bass.

www.laneonbass.com
Keep Thumpin',

Lane On Bass

Former Eden Spec. Proj. Coord. & Artist Relations

My Web Site | Facebook Page
Twitter

Offline Zekragash

• http://www.putfile.com/zekraggash
Introduce Yourself
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2005, 09:26:51 AM »
Well, it's my turn now !!
I'm located in France, namely Normandy on Sword Beach (is there very old bassist who knows sword beach ? huh ?)
I play bass for 20 years and mostly for rock (at the begining) and now jazz, blues and funk in a small band (just for fun).
I play in a little formation of classical musician (flute, cello and guitar) also where we make up some Bach stuff.

But helas, i'm the head of a small sme and my job is really time consuming ! And i cannot gig as many often i would like to..

I've got many other activities like singing in a choir (is this correct ?), mathematical imagery computation, number theory ... all eating a bit of my time (and i do not mention my wife and my 3 kids...)

I'm a really recent Edenite (Nemesist in fact) and i'm very proud of this !!

Ohh, last thing : sorry for my poor froggy english ;)

Franck

If U come to my house, U know what U'll see ?
A house full of nothing, just my 4 strings and me !

WT400+/D115XLT
Eden NEMESIS NC410
Keith Roscoe LG3005
G&L L2000 US
JazzBass 75 Ibanez Lawsuit 2365b
Westwood fretless custom

Offline _Wes

• http://www.strange-band.com
Introduce Yourself
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2005, 09:46:25 AM »
Great idea Lane!  Kudos!

Ok, my name is Wes Watson - I've been playing bass for about 20 years - on and off.  My main style is Heavy Metal - but I play whatever I can!  I play worship music in church, and I've done a Dan Fogelberg Tribute - which was a blast!  I've been in the same band for 5+ years now, and that's been going very, very well. :)

I live in Central Illinois, not too far from Lane, actually, and work as an IT guy for a large insurance company.  The corporate world is ok, but pays pretty decent, so I can't complain.  I also do some design and web work on the side - such projects as ExtendedRangeBassist.com, ScottHubbell.com, SubContraBassist.com and a few others.

I'm a 15 year member of the Illinois Air Force National Guard.  My family is very military - I have a brother-in-law that is active duty in WA state, and another brother-in-law in Germany for the WOT.

I have 4 wonderful kids - and a gorgeous wife (I married up!).  

I've always been a huge fan of music, in general.  I love metal, hair metal, power metal - but especially progressive metal.  I also like jazz, rock, classical and anything that is good.  I try not to be a musical snob too much - for me if it sounds good - it is good.

...and I absolutely love my Eden gear!  I've been physically threatened by my band members if I ever get rid of anything with an Eden name on it!  They love the tone as well!!

I also get to spend some time on various forums around the web....:)

http://www.indieheaven.com/artists/StrangeLand

StrangeLand  |   FretlessBassist  |   ExtendedRangeBassist  |  CD Baby  |   DC Key
FretlessBassist on myspace  |   StrangeLand on myspace  |   DC Key myspace

"You can say anything you want about me, my playing style, my talent - or lack thereof, my music or my looks.  But you just try to say anything about my EDEN family!!!!"

WT-550 | D410XLT |   D112XLT - ARRIVED!!!!   ...so far...

Offline DaWiz

Introduce Yourself
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2005, 10:16:32 AM »
My Turn,

Hey everyone, my name is Merlin Shippy. I have been playing bass off and on for about 20 years or so. Mainly influenced by and enjoy Rock, Metal, etc, but also play Country and just about anything else that comes my way. I live in Salina, Kansas (dead center of Kansas), and work as an IT engineer for a large global manufacturing corporation.

Although this pays the bills, and supports my Eden habit, my passion is playing bass. I am currently playing in two praise and worship bands in church settings, one "working" country band, and one Christian rock band that we are hoping at some point in time making into a full-time employment opportunity. You can listen to this band at the following www.wurship.com.

Was turned on to Eden about 2 years ago, by a fellow bass player and now will not play through anything else! Once you go Eden, the Eden GAS requires continuous feeding!

Merlin
Merlin (Wiz)
Loud and proud endorser of Eden.

D212XLT x (2) / CXC110 / EM5's

Offline Vinny D

• http://www.myspace.com/vinnydagostino
Introduce Yourself
« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2005, 10:29:26 AM »
I had posted this in an earlier topic, Figured I would copy it into here.

Posted - 03/06/2005 :  11:18:52 AM            
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Lane,
I also try to look at everyones links that they post. I am just a music junkie and like listening and playing any and all styles myself.

For me I started playing in clubs when I was 13 years old, It was nice having parents that did not stand in the way of something I really wanted to do. By the time I was a senior in high school I was playing 3 nights a week in a local original/cover band and I never missed a day of school (for playing reasons anyway) I was in my earlier years of playing and a hatter of the cover band circuit and thought that I would never play anything but originals. That lasted until I was about 19 years old and got hooked up with one of the areas biggest booking agents and he showed me how much money I could make in a GOOD cover band. That is mostly what I did from 1987 thru 1998. I took a little break from playing for a while to clear my head and want to go back playing for ME. I did a smaller scale cover band and also went back to doing some originals again. My last original project was with some of the best players I have ever played with, A drummer that was the perfect time piece and a sax player that is know one of the most sought after players in the Boston area. We where able to record our CD in our own basement studio and I learned alot about recording and mic placement. Please take a listen to some of the songs at www.mostpeople.net It is better to burn a copy and play it on a real CD player to hear the full mix, Listening to it on the computer you don't get to hear the bass that much. Unfortunatly by the time we had finished the CD I was diagnosed with Cancer in October of 2002 and was never able to go out and play and support the music we had created. I needed surgery ASAP and then needed a very long and powerful Chemo treatment for having a chance at surviving. I went for Chemo for 6 months, 5 days a week, 8 hours a day. There was plenty of time spent in the hospital and a few times when everyone had to keep there fingers crossed. I basically lost a year of my life but am very gratefull for having the best doctors that did everything possible for me. So after making It through all that and being givin a second chance at life I decided I would make the best of everything that I could. I first went back to work (kind of needed money after all that) and then got back to just having fun playing again. My longtime freinds and I put together a fun tributeband that we have a blast at playing. The clubs are always full,great crowds and the money is some of the best I ever made playing in a band. But mostly I enjoy playing with freinds that I have known for 10 to 20 years. Check the link out for a good laugh at some of the goofy pictures and a couple of LIVE recorded sound bites that where recorded on a camcorder.www.bouncetribute.com

Great forum page, And I enjoy interacting with everyone here.

C-ya,
Vinny

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Edited by - Vinny D on 03/06/2005 12:09:56 PM

http://mysite.verizon.net/vzeek9mb/vinnysbasspage/

Offline PAUL

• http://www.myspace.com/paulnejman
Introduce Yourself
« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2005, 11:05:00 AM »
Hi,My name is Paul Nejman,I've been a bass player for 25 years.I started playing woodwind instruments when I was in grade school.I first took up the bass because my dads wedding/club band needed a bass player.I learnned alot about music from my dad who is a trainned musician that played around the world with the Marines.I've been schooled in the electro-mechanical repair feild which was my main job until my recent back injury which now I may be able to devote more time in the music recording feild since lifting large objects and standing for long periods of time seems to be a problem.I'm working on going to a professional recording arts college to be able to further this.So I might be able to meet some of you cats someday in a pro recording studio.My favorite music is jazz, love it.I also love rock and roll and r&b.But where I live only supports classic rock for the working musician or the weekend warrior such as myself.I hop around with different bands to meet as many musicians and gain more knowledge so I dont get bored.I dont stay with the same guys for a long periods of time,but as we all know bands dont stay together for a long time anyway.Before I hurt my back I had three different projects going on.Did some recording and played in the tri-state area of Ohio,New York,and Pennsylvania.So this is my bio so far.Hope to catch you guys on the flip side........Paul......
If you did'nt like me before,your gonna love me now.Catch ya on the flip side.,,,,,Paul                                                        http://www.myspace.com/paulnejman                 http://myspace.com/60inchslick

Offline buffordbass

• http://kensavageandthebestkeptsecret.com
Introduce Yourself
« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2005, 12:06:01 PM »
Hi, my name is Terry Sutton & I'm an Edenoholic.
My story is like most, started playing guitar in a Jr. High Garage Band and one day we realized we needed a bass player. I was the worst guitarist, so I volunteered to buy a bass... yeah, a Conrad copy of a Beatle Bass!! Played in rock bands and with the church youth group til college, wandered for a while, found a good woman and as Wes said married way over my head!!
A number of years later our music guy at church wanted to start a praise band, my wife volunteered me to play bass and the rest is history. A few years later a guy that had been after me for 10 years to play in his blues band convinced me to take the plunge, we converted to R&B and classic rock when our lead singer retired. January this year we added a brass section and are a 7 piece working bunch of old men havin a ball and makin enough $$ to buy better toys... hence my addition to chasing the ever changing "perfect rig".
The best part was two years ago on my birthday when my 4 sons and beautiful wife suprised me with my dream bass, a honey burst stingray 4!! They put up with a lot to allow me to pursue my love of music... as I always say... "Life is good!!"

================================================
Just an old 4 string playin' fool!!!!
I finally got my WT-800 and life is gooooood!!!

www.kensavageandthebestkeptsecret.com

================================================
'02 - Stingray 4 (Honeyburst), '87 P-Bass (MIJ LPB)

just an old 4 string playin' fool ...life is good!!!!

www.kensavageandthebestkeptsecret.com

www.myspace.com/kdogclub

Offline P5string

Introduce Yourself
« Reply #8 on: May 12, 2005, 12:14:26 PM »
Hi all,
     My name is Howard. I played my first paying gig at the tender age of 12 playing for my cousins birthday party. Made a whole $10 - for the whole band! That was forty years ago and I haven't stopped yet. I figure as long as the man upstairs gives me the health to play that that is exactly what I'm going to do. Along the way to the present I've had the honor of taking a few lessons with Jaco and playing with Papa John Creech, although briefly-I thought getting married was a better idea ! (too soon old-too late smart!). I've played in bands with the likes of Lou Gramm of Foreigner (before he was Lou Gramm and just a drummer) and countless other players throughout the years. My point is not to drop names but rather to try and say that in the last forty years I've had a lot of pleasure playing music and met a lot of people that I still count as friends. I don't know of any other interest that can offer that. Currently, I've been working with the same band for over three years with a bunch of really good human beings which enhances my love of playing. In addition, I do some studio work just to change things up a bit and play with the grandkids when I need to refocus on whats really important in life.
WT 550 with (2)210XST
WTX 500
EM-5 monitors
EX 112 (2)
72 Jazz Bass
Pedulla Tbass ET5
Lakland DJ4
Roscoe 2005 fretless

Offline LTA

Introduce Yourself
« Reply #9 on: May 12, 2005, 12:58:42 PM »
I'm just going to keep it as mike for the moment. LTA = larger than average, which was a compromise when my (formerly) skinny 6'5" self ran into a big mike that outwieghed me by 100 pounds. Then there was little mike at 6'1" lol. Seems like half this country is named mike at times. Even had a gimmick band (that never did a gig) where everybody was over 6'4". Including the female singer (basketball player, and towered over me). Doh lane, you got me talking about myself again.

First, up until about 3 years ago, i also used to work IT (at a fairly large surburban newspaper). Thanks to a serious of fortunate events, i switched over to landscaping and home improvement. I didn't realize how much i despised computers until then. Finally, a car accident last july messed my back up so bad i could barely stand or sit for more than a few minutes. Its gotten 100-fold better since january, but i don't think i want to dig holes much anymore. Might be the perfect time to go back and get another degree :)

I just recently moved near Elgin, Illinois. NIU is really close, and I-90 is 4 stoplights away. Hour to chicago, 2 hours to bloomington or milwaukee. I'm going to attempt to confirm that for ever 200 guitar players, there are 15 bass players and 10 drummers. Lots of music shops to see too, but no money to spend.

I've been playing bass since literally the day i got my driver's license at 16. My parents were pushing for piano, singing, and even electric guitar. Electric bass, much like the tambura, gets little respect from many people. Back when my grandparents were younger, there wasn't even an electric bass (and drumset was new too). And there are very few younger emerging virtuosos that have extended careers anymore, so it should be easier to be the next stu hamm or jaco than to be the next EVH or vai. But i do think a combination of MIDI sound modules and better sequencers, along with protools editing and sound replacer, has taken some of the pressure off both electric bass players and drum players to actually learn both their instrument and music in general. Perhaps one of these kids that grows up listening to electronica, primus, and the who will come and redefine the instrument within the next decade or so. But i digress.

The single player that inspired me to pick up bass was robert trujillo of infectious grooves. I caught the video for "therapy" on Headbanger's Ball, and between being blown away by how awesome ozzy's new band (sic) was, there were some nice bass glamour shots including a camera looking down the neck on a big slide. The next bass player i got into big time was cliff burton. Bought the tab books, learned the licks. Never attempted to learn "anethesia" though. Oddly, metallica likes my number one bass hero too. But after i became aware of bass, i got into all sorts of stuff, including most of the stuff people reference when refering to great bass playing. For the past year or so, i delved deep into afro-cuban music. Its gotten so bad, the 3:2 and 2:3 clave have been pervading my interpretation of much music. Advice: If you can learn to play basslines while feeling both the clave and the quarter note pulse, you will greatly improve your time keeping skills in any style of music. My "time," and how i apply it to a given musical situation, is what makes me the player i am :) It is the weft and the warp, and the tones i throw in are the colored yarns used to make the design. Traditionally i enjoy the more physically demanding genres such as metal, pounding out mostly roots or doubling the guitar. As time went on, and i stopped trying to force the harmonic and especially melodic content, i started finding space to throw in an appropriate interval to the root. I understand chords now, after near 15 years of playing. Funny how the first thing you ever learn can be the last thing you come to understand.

In addition, i've been playing drums since about 5 months after i started playing bass. So i am both the drummer that thinks he can play bass, and the bass player who wants to be a drummer. My parents didn't just tolerate drums, but encouraged my brother and I to bang away. I also do part time work doing on-location drum overdubbing, which is basically a drum tech and a recording engineer rolled into one. I'm also owner/operator of a mobile 16 track studio (specializing in drum overdubs of course).

And to close this rambling wishy washy essay up, i also am reestablishing in a new community. I'm curious to hear lane's take on this, but... I've gone to 2 open mic night blues jams so far. Its not my favorite thing to play, but it is easy enough to have a good time without knowing 400 songs. I've also got a few numbers from local music shops and local entertainment papers for single/bands looking for bass player. You'd be surprised at how many "bass player wanted" ads are up in drum shops. I'm not the best networker though, and i'm curious as to how you all would approach the situation. I should start another thread on this, but i already spent too much time typing already. No wonder i never got more than halfway through that rufus reid book zzzzzz
Will it play in Peoria?

Offline moose

Introduce Yourself
« Reply #10 on: May 12, 2005, 01:38:33 PM »
hey guys,

my name is mike szilagyi (its hungarian[:)]). i've been playin bass now for about 6 years and have been and edenite for about a year and a half (when i found out dirk lance played through eden i had to get one). I live in montreal, quebec, canada and am a student. i have no idea what i wanna do with my life but if i can live of making music i'd be a happy man...I love all types of music but mainly within the rock/funk genres. i've been in a rockish group for a little over a year now and whenever we get our act together and schedules matched up we will hopefully get our first tour goin, probably just a few shows around eastern canada but its a start! anyways i guess thats it for me. btw i just wanted to say that i love/really appreciate this website, i've learned so much and love hearing other bassists stories....thanks guys and keep it up!

mike
MM Sterling
Ibanez 485
Eden WT400/210xst/212xlt

Offline Radub1

• http://www.myspace.com/woynaroskimusic
Introduce Yourself
« Reply #11 on: May 12, 2005, 01:50:37 PM »
Hey guys,

Well, my name is Aaron.  I have been playing for just a tad over 8 years now.  I spent my first 15 years as a drummer, then one sunday morning at church the bass player told me he wouldn't be there that evening.  So I took his bass home, learned a few notes, and played that night.  Ever since then I have been hooked.  As a drummer I have done U.S. tours, ton's of studio work.  As a bass player I have played mostly worship at my church, and some larger christian conventions and camps.  I am a newlywed (just a little over a year) and like a lot of guys have mentioned already, I DEFINITLEY married up.  We lived in the Chicagoland area, until Nov. 04, when I took a job in Grand Rapids, MI.  Before moving up here, I was a full time Youth Pastor turned Hydraulic Engineer.  I moved up here to take a position as Director of Product Development for a Hydraulic Company.  SInce moving, I have not played out at all, but I have been practicing a lot more than I did before, and through it all, my wife is supportive and still lets me have my toys.  My gear currently consists of:

Warwick FNA Jazzman 4
Hohner B-Bass 4
410xlt (8 ohm)
WT-800 (New one bridgeable into 4 ohm)
Ampeg SVT III Pro (Retired and For Sale)
Furman PL-Tuner (Retired and For Sale)
Alesis 3630 Dual Channel Compressor, Gate, Etc (Retired and For Sale)
On Order and Anxiously Awaiting: 210xst (4 ohm) and 210xlt (4ohm)

Also, a huge thanks to everyone in this forum.  I have been self taught and really never been into amps and amplification before (I mean c'mon, I was a drummer)and I have learned more form this forum than I think I have the other 20 some-odd years combined.  Its a blessing to have a community in the purest sense of the word.

Current Stuff: 210xst, 212xlt, WT-1205
Old Stuff: 410xlt, 212xlt, 210xst, 210xst, 210xst, 112xlt, 112xlt, 112xlt,  WT-550, WT-500, WT-800B, WTX-260, NC-210, Navigator
Basses: Warrior Signature 6, Benevente Vintage Vortex 5

Offline Aslan

• http://www.andreasolsson.net
Introduce Yourself
« Reply #12 on: May 12, 2005, 02:26:40 PM »
Hi everybody!
My name is Andreas Olsson and live in Stockholm, Sweden. As you can see I haven't been so active here at the forum but I have checked in almost every day lately to read.
I have played the bass guitar for 12 years now and work as a freelance bassist. I play everything from jazz, classical (double bass) to rock and metal. Lately, I've been playing mostly metal. Both live and studio. I play in a lot of projects but my main bands are: Narnia (www.narniaworld.com), Rob Rock (www.robrock.com) and DivineFire (www.divinefire.net). I like to play as many genres as possible. You can always find interesting stuff in every style.

I have used Eden gear for a little bit more than a year and I am totally satisfied. This is the tone I have looked for all my life!!!
Here in Sweden, Eden isn't very common so I ordered my rig (WT550 and 410xlt) from Bass Central and I haven't regret it a second.

If you are interested, please check out my own site: www.andreasolsson.net
------------------------
If you ever get lost. Strike a pose!!!

Check this out:
http://www.andreasolsson.net
http://www.narniaworld.com
http://www.robrock.com

Offline bassman13

• http://www.visi.com/~bassman/guitars.html
Introduce Yourself
« Reply #13 on: May 12, 2005, 05:37:57 PM »
Hi. My name is Tom Johnston and I'm an edenite.  At first it was just pictures in a magazine.  Then I was seeing them in the stores. I finally ended up buying one, and then another, and then people gave them to me . . .

I live in suburban Minneapolis, about 30 mi. from Montrose, and have even been lucky enough to visit the factory.  It's nothing like I would have expected.  I've been playing bass since high school (almost 30 years ago).  I've have Eden gear off an on over the past 5 years (WT300 and 400, and a VT.40 I'm looking forward to getting fixed.  Unfortunately I've had to let them go but am looking towards getting a NS28 as soon as I sell the E******c 1x10 I currently have.

I play mainly church gigs, but am currently idle.  My current bass is a Carvin LB75A, a beautiful machine IMO.  I do some home building too, including a tube preamp based on the Ampeg B25.  My current project includes a fretless bass. I also have an old tube amp of unknown origin that I fire up once in a while.

Play de bass mon!

Just around the corner from Montrose, MN
Stay Low

Just around the corner from Montrose, MN

Offline JTE

• http://sistergroove.com
Introduce Yourself
« Reply #14 on: May 12, 2005, 05:38:26 PM »
Hi, my name is John and I'm a bass player...

I've been playing bass since 1976, and I used to manage a guitar store.  I sold Fender, Gibson, Yamaha, Peavey, Guild, Takamine, Ovation, Martin, and some other lines from 1977 until 1988.  I started playing bass for a few months on Microfret bass, using a Twin Reverb to drive a Music Man 212RH cabinet.  Got a MM HD-130 head and used it for about ten years.  Used a Yamaha, a couple of Peavey heads, Hartke 3500 with the MM cabinet, then a Yamaha 115, EV/Theile 115, the first Hartke (when they were distributed by Guild) 410, and then I found an Eden dealer.  Wound up with a WT-400 and a D410XLT and have been sonically happy ever since November 1997.  I've been through varioius Fenders, Music Mans (pre EB), Guild, and Hammer basses and now have three Laklands, a pair of P basses, a fretless mongrel, and a Guild Pilot.  

I started playing in country bands, and have gigged in a lot of different situations from a reading dance band to a great local R'n'B/R'n'R band called Sister Groove.  I'm at the half-century mark and decided the band was gigging way too much for me so I quit about two years ago.  They're still gigging regularly in Central Illinois, and I fill in for them on occasion still.

I've been influenced by everything I hear- either I want to sound like that or I want to avoid that sound.  My favorite bass players (at least right now) include Duck Dunn, Jamerson, Jerry Jemmott, Jack Bruce, Jack Cassady, Willie Weeks, Emory Gordy, Michael Rhodes, Leland Sklar, Jaco, Stephen Stills, Jeff Berlin, Paul McCartney, Berry Oakley, Timothy B. Scmidt, Ron Carter, Neils Henning-Ørsted Pedersen, Ray Brown, and Freebo.

I live in the same area (I suspect) that Wes does (home of Mother Mutual), and I've lived in this area all my life.  My marriage of 28 years is unfortunately coming to an end, but I have two wonderful sons, aged 28 and 23.  The older one is a theatre lighting tech in Chicago with wonderful wife.  The younger one is working a clerical entry job in Colorado Springs as he prepares to write the novel that will win him a Pulitzer Prize.  

I currently do accounting for a local branch of a large logistics/transportation/warehouse company for bread.  Besides music I love riding my bicycle and plan on crankin gout at least a thousand miles on it this summer.

jte

Be like Lance- Breath slow, pedal fast!!
What would Willie Weeks do?

http://www.flickr.com/photos/9533200@N04/

WT-400, Lakland & Fender basses