Author Topic: Eden Metro  (Read 5263 times)

Offline Corianman

Eden Metro
« on: October 19, 2004, 11:04:58 PM »
Hi I am a new Eden user and I am asking questions after the cat is out of the bag. I already bought used an Eden Metro Combo that has an 8 ohm enclosure ( DC-210XLT) and  a DC500 amp in it from what I am reading. I also bought another 8 ohm 210XLT speaker cab thinking that I would have an extra matching cab and more power if I played a larger room and needed it. After reading some of these posts I realize now I don't understand how to get the most power out of this rig. Did I screw up not getting 4 ohm cabs? I really like the Eden sound that I hear out all the time and I loved the size and weight of the Metro Combo amp. To me the manual is not so clear. I thought by plugging the extra cab in I would be running 4 ohms, no??? Also there are three speaker outputs on the back of the Metro and two on the extra cab but nothing is marked . Does it matter which ones you use?

Thanks
Corianman

Offline Warwick

• http://www.myspace.com/theadventuresofband
Eden Metro
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2004, 12:15:37 AM »
If you connect your extension speaker with a normal jack-to-jack speaker lead you will have a parallel connection of your two 8 ohm boxes, which gives a 4 ohm load. No problem - it should be a great bass rig with the amp working at its optimum load.
The two speaker connectors on the cab are identical - use either. I'm not familiar with the Metro back panel, but I assume it's the same story.

"To me the manual is not so clear." - join the club! They're good at making amps, not so good at writing about them...

"Tried those high notes, but I like the low ones better"
Warwick Thumb NT '92 / Fender Jazz '72 / Paulin EUB '05 / 'Funkenstein' '84 / Eden WT330/210XST/112XLT '05 / Goldentone Bassmaster '63

Offline Corianman

Eden Metro
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2004, 12:44:44 AM »
Thanks for the info . Just to clarify, Are you saying to unplug the short jack coming from the back of the amp now and extend it to the one of the two input/outputs of other speaker cab and then another cord from the other in/out in the ext speaker back to only one output from the back of the amp?

Offline Psychicpet

• http://www.peterdavyduck.com
Eden Metro
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2004, 01:57:04 AM »
I think to just leave the combo cabinet plugged in how it is and then just run a lead from one of the 2 'not being used' speaker output jacks to your extension cab.
Steve Zissou: I don't have a problem with objective reporting. What I have a problem with is some wombat... coming on my boat trying to railroad me.

Offline Corianman

Eden Metro
« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2004, 06:03:09 PM »
Thanks, that what I thought. I just wasn't sure if that would give me the 4 ohms or not since nothing is market on the back of the amp. For such a nice amp the manual is the worst I have ever read. Of course , most of them I never had to read but this amp is a little more complex than most I ever had.
With that logic, I guess if I used 3- 210XLT cabs all rated 8 ohm and pugged that third cab into the third output then I would get the max power @ 2 ohms . Is this correct?

Thanks to everyone for the help.

Corianman

Offline Bob Cruz

Eden Metro
« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2004, 06:30:20 PM »
If you unplug the short cord from the third output jack in the back, that will unplug your internal speakers so you'd only be powering the three external cabs.  To power everything and get the 2-ohm load, you'd have to leave the internal speakers plugged in and plug your third speaker cabinet into one of the other two (that's called a "daisy chain").
Bob Cruz

GB Streamliner 900 and 600 - Peavey USA Cirrus 5 - SX Jazz 5 x2 - BC Rich Mockingbird 5 - Cruz 112 x2 (22 pound flyweight cabs I built) - Kustom 115 D140F - Avatar Neo 112 x 2 - Modded Fender Rumble 40 x2

Offline CraigSiR

• http://www.ebay.com
Eden Metro
« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2004, 11:47:08 PM »
Hi Corianman,

I am running the same set up as you.  Metro and 210XLT cab, so you would have to run a 4ohm cab with this setup to get the amp down to 2ohms.  I have been thinking about doing this also, but I have read that power amps running at 2ohms takes away from the tone.  I beleive the article said that it give the bass a compressed sound.  I guess I'll find out if this is ture when I get my next cab.  Could you post your settings on your Metro please?  I have had the hardest time getting a tone I am truely happy with.
Thanks,
CS

Offline Corianman

Eden Metro
« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2004, 12:17:59 AM »
Bob, sorry I was counting the internal speakers as 1 cab using one of the outputs.

Thanks for the input. I think I get it now.

CS, I guess you can tell by the neophyte questions that I am not much of a Bass player. I am a guitarist that is trying to play well enough to record my own bass. Too hard to explain what I want all the time so I'm doing it myself. So far I will say the Eden sounds great without using the EQ to my ears. I set the Master vol around 12 and then turn up the gain leaving everything else pretty flat. Then I  screw around with the enhance knob till I like it. Pretty much like Eden suggests, That's it. I know it's not much help. I am using a Fender Jazz bass I had so I am eager to try some other new active basses. Anyone got any suggestions. I don't really have a budget in mind just awesome sound. If it's more expensive than I imagined then I'd still rather wait, save up and get a great one. If you come up with some settings you like a lot please email them to me or post them.

Thanks.

Corianman

Offline CraigSiR

• http://www.ebay.com
Eden Metro
« Reply #8 on: October 23, 2004, 03:49:40 PM »
like the old saying, "if you want something done right..."  I also use a Fender Jazz bass, in fact, most of my basses are Jazz basses.  I bought a Sadowsky preamp and I am very happy with it.  Since all my basses are passive, the Sadowsky is much more cost effective than buying an active bass.  If money was no object, then I would go with a real Sadowsky.  Every bass player I have heard that plays one has an amazing tone.  Every player that owns one swears by them.  Just my two cents.
Take care,
CS

Offline Corianman

Eden Metro
« Reply #9 on: October 26, 2004, 12:14:19 AM »
CS, Thanks . Those look like great basses! The advice of a Sadowsky preamp in the meantime to give the FJazz some Ummph sounds like a good one. I have a line on an Aguilar 924 preamp have you heard one of those? One of my friends thinks pretty highly of it and reccomended it so I am pursuing it now. Havn't seen a lot of Sadowsky's used floating around.

Thanks for all the help.
Corianman

Offline Lowfreq

Eden Metro
« Reply #10 on: October 28, 2004, 04:23:42 PM »
Gee if money were no object....audition a MTD (MIchael Tobias Designs) bass and prepare to cry! Nothing plays or sounds like them. Of course I will also give a shameless plug for Stuart Spector basses as well. While not 'cheap' many Spectors are great sounding & playing basses. In the affordable front, it's hard to beat an active Fender Jazz! Easy to record, easy to mix. While I personally don't care for the 'Sadowsky sound', I must echo the absurdly 'cost effectiveness' of the Sadowsky outboard pre amp. Essentially making your passive Jazz sounding far more modern. Not as modern as full active set up, but pretty damn tasty. Fodera makes one as well. You could always swap out pick ups and add an internal pre amp in to the Jazz you already use.
-Lowfreq

Offline bassfivemusic

Eden Metro
« Reply #11 on: October 29, 2004, 08:59:57 AM »
I've used a Sadowsky preamp with my Jazz & a Rickenbacker for years and it really does make a huge difference. Very easy to use also. Now however I'm lucky enough to own a Lakland 55-94(not the Korean Skyline series) and playing that bass through my Eden WT400 & a 4 Ohm 210XLT truly sounds awesome. Like most players, I run the Eden flat & just tweak the enhance knob and dial up my tone on the bass. I would like to upgrade to the 210XST though as it handle a little more power than the XLT.

Offline Lowfreq

Eden Metro
« Reply #12 on: October 29, 2004, 01:57:27 PM »
Sounds like your WT400 & D210XLT are well matched for your 55-94 set up (I have seen a few players with this exact set up). Running 400 watts in to a 350 watts is  much preffered vs. running 400 watts in to a 450 watts cabinet. On the other hand, there is more to life than power ratings. That extra low end extension makes 'upgrading' to an XST pretty darn tempting.
-Lowfreq